Too many? I have one or two other options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blessing or curse? I have a lot of vehicles I am emotionally tied to that most normal people could care less about. There are a lot of other priorities in life that come before the vehicles but I still hang on too them like they are gold. My Chevelle is the car I’ve had the longest and needs the most work but it waits for the funds to really do it right. My square was my fathers and my mother gave it to me when he passed. It’s not so much that it was Dads truck as he wasn’t as car/truck guy but mother gave it to me and I like squares and how they drive. My Valkyrie was a present to myself after heart bypass surgery in 1999. I haven’t ridden it in a couple of years but it’s not eating anything and I hope to get back to riding soon, don’t laugh, a lot of guys are riding into their seventies and eighties. My Impala SS I bought new in 1995 is still with me and I just like the car even though it has sat a lot in recent years due to time and some maintenance issues but I have it road worthy right now, it a great cruiser. My Corvette is my bad boy ride, not that it’s the fastest car out there but it’s the car that will go faster that I want to drive whether in a straight line or in the curves. It’s also my therapy ride, it just does me good to take it out when the weather is nice with the windows down and I can row through the gears and listen to the exhaust burble and crack. And I still have two daily’s that I have to keep up, the Titan and the wifes Camry.

I’m faced with prospect of moving 200 miles to be in the same city as my son so my wife and I can spend time with our twin grandsons. The big issue is finding an affordable place that I can keep my toys. Property values where we are looking, horse country in Lexington Ky, are high and likely to stay that way. I have 20 acres so I will probably sell the house and a few acres and the put up an shop building to suffice for a while. I have one or two other options but none are ideal. Good problem to have I guess as many people struggle just to keep a roof over their heads.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Why not look at Winchester or other surrounding aread? Its not that far of a drive into Lexington. The Mrs and I and thinking of relocating near Lexington and have been looking at surrounding areas. You get much more for your money.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a few more years, until preschool at least, we will be primary daycare providers for the grandkids. Drive times for rush hour to drop off and pick up kids can really add up so we are looking as close as possible to them. They are on the Winchester side of Lexington so we have looked for property there too. Haven’t found anything just right. My place if located in Lexington would probably be $400-500,000 dollars but here in western Ky it’s probably in the $250,000 range. So I have too be careful as I’m on a fix income for now.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Sometimes you won't WANT to be close, even though you love em and want to help. My daughter and her family live in the same town as us, my son and his family live 50 miles away. Everything is good for us now, but the grandkids are older. Best laid plans ya know. Good luck with your choices, it's always hard to move. Don't wait too long cause it is a real PITA when you are OLD. We moved across town 3 years ago. I am still wondering where all my stuff is!!!

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
If it's relatively short term maybe rent something instead?

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's relatively short term maybe rent something instead?

Not short enough, they’re just two. Rentals are outrageous too. My son upgraded to a much larger house when the boys were born and kept his first house and rented it out. I really don’t want to pay for taxes, insurance and upkeep on a home I barely live in and pay rent too. To clarify the situation my wife and I have spent the last 2 years living with my son Monday thru Friday and commuting 400 miles round trip on the weekends. The twins were premies and only weighed 2 lbs each at birth. My wife is about about ready for her own space again and have some free time on the weekends instead of traveling. I’m all for it, just need to find the right spot.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I'll have an almost similar situation when me and the wife decide to move. I have a fleet that needs to go along too. Luckily two of the trucks run and can haul loads and tow. The other truck and frame are another story, they need to be towed no matter what. Hope it all works out for you and yours.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Tough situation. That's why I said "relatively" short. You're looking at three years before they're off to school and having to uproot your whole life. But I already know how it works. If momma wants to be near the grandkids, you'll be moving near the grandkids. I've seen that too many times to count. And it stands to reason that if property values are high, rents will match. Can you rent out your existing property to offset some of the cost?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That’s a dilemma. I grow attached to cars and trucks, too. If I get one, it’s for life. I don’t know what you’d have to liquidate, but I’d keep the Chevelle and the Square at all costs. Otherwise, I’d make the space. You can get you one of those car ports and stuff it to the brim if you have a place that’s at least an acre and at least has a two car garage.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
I would suggest you look into metal pole buildings. My city gave me a lot of grief when I wanted to build a second garage - it would have cost 40K for a 22x22. So I just poured a slab(that was not obvious from the street) And had one put up from a company. I had to go smaller, 14' wide, but 8 years ago, total cost was less then 4K(without lights). They neighbors are ok with it and it does the job.
The city would not have permitted it, but they do allow carports, so if you have to, just open one end to make a carport and you can put chain link fence and/or gate there to keep people out.
A 30x30 will hold a lot of tools and vehicles, if you have the room.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
second the metal building if it is an option. I do not have room for one at our current place but it can't be too hard to find a house with a large yard in the back

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came close to making an offer on a new house that the wife and I both liked and has a 1.3 acre lot. It’s pretty much at the top of our budget but when I found out that any out building had to be the same construction as the house (all brick) it pretty much knocked us out.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 2 acre lot, but here, the city will only allow your outbuildings to equal the square footage of the footprint of your house, so all I can build is 1450 sq ft of shop/garage. When I bought this place years ago, I had visions of a large pole barn/shop in the yard and 2 or 3 car garage by the house. I never thought to check the codes before I bought, figured if I had the room, I could build it. I would have expected something like that from a fancy suburb or subdivision, but not here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat