to do list/app/spread sheet question/discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
How do you all keep track of things that you have done or would like to do to your truck/s?

The other day I felt well enough to look at my truck in detail. I really havent done that since I bought the truck. I have been bouncing back from two surgeries to fend off the big C word, cancer. (I know what you are thinking, 36 is too young for colon cancer, but its becoming a younger disease. Please get a colonoscopy.)

At first I thought about making a spread sheet. I could customize it however I needed it. Plus I can be pretty slick with excel.
But then I was wondering if there was an app.

I guess Im leaning more towards a spread sheet. Then I can keep track of maintenance too. Along with other information like fuel mileage.

But I thought that I would see what you all did, if you did anything at all.

I WILL KEEP THE LINK BELOW FOR THE MOST CURRENT SPREADSHEET. IF YOU WOULD LIKE A FEATURE ADDED, LET ME KNOW AND I'LL SEE WHAT I CAN DO.
LINK:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4j5Nl0s5dkEYVctNW1IenBPS0E

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
There's several programs out there for that, this one comes to mind but there's a free one too but I can't think of the name right off.. I'd do Excel though if I could just get the hang of it.

Sorry to hear about the C, hope you heal up quick..

http://www.collectorcarcompanion.com/

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
$50 does not make me holla. Haha. I think I may work on a spread sheet tomorrow and see what you all think.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
$50 does not make me holla. Haha. I think I may work on a spread sheet tomorrow and see what you all think.
I hear that,lol, wish I could think of the free one it's pretty much the same really goes into detail. If you can make a spread sheet with that kind of detail I'd sure like to see it, **** Id buy a copy, lol..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Excel will work well, I think. I try to keep it all in my head largely because I worry that a to-do list would look more daunting on paper and make me feel discouraged.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Excel will work well, I think. I try to keep it all in my head largely because I worry that a to-do list would look more daunting on paper and make me feel discouraged.

For those of us that do automotive projects at work (as well as project oriented lifestyles at home) if this spreadsheet could be adapted to work at work (sorry about that!) then that would be ideal.

I think my main issue is twofold:

a) Many of my tasks take days/weeks/years - so I get tired of writing the same line item over and over
b) If I don't have the task right in front of my face then it loses priority. A lot of items fall off the table only to pop back up when I realize I forgot/didn't do them.

K

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Keith, I feel ya. There is an order of things that I need done on the truck. Its been just under 100 degrees here in Dallas and the AC does work. With my ileostomy, my wife will not let me drive it till I get that fixed. Next I need to replace the carb and get that stupid double pumper off. Plus there are about 100 things that I have noticed need work or I want to update. I couldnt keep it all in my head.

Im not saying Im the best at spread sheets, but this isnt something that needs fancy calculations from multiple pages. (I can do that too but Im just stating that it doesnt need to be that fancy.)

Ill start working on it today hopefully, being the IT guy has some advantages like goofing off at work when things arent breaking. Ill toss it up here and see what you all input wise. Dont hold back on criticism. Ill take it all. We use group spreadsheets at work for large projects, so I assume that this could bleed over to work stuff and I dont see why it couldnt if set up correctly.

Id like to see (and not necessarily in this order):
  • dates/times started and possible projected
  • projected costs
  • actual cost
  • what is being done/item that needs to be replaced/worked on
  • major categories for those things
  • a place for comments/notes
If you have a suggestion, please let me know, and Ill try to work it in there. If you would like something added just for you, Id be happy to accommodate you too.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8

But a written list that you can scratch off would make you feel accomplished! :)

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I havent put much time into this because I wanted to get a feel of what you all think so far. Comments? Questions?

You must be registered for see images attach

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I am going to add a tab that does fuel mileage. All you will have to do is put in the date, odometer, and the amount of fuel and it will calculate days since last fill up and the mileage. Im thinking about a price per gallon also so you can calculate avg price per year and how much you did spend.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Theoretically, I could take this spread sheet and make it a .csv and then load it into a database and then put it on the web... but thats a lot of coding, time, and money I dont have right now.
ORRRR, it could be ported into an app.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I havent put much time into this because I wanted to get a feel of what you all think so far. Comments? Questions?

You must be registered for see images attach
That's pretty cool to track your expenditures but keep the wife out of it lol

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Yeah, make sure to encrypt that in a hidden file. That will have to be a lesson for another day. Haha.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Is there a way to make sub categories??..

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Sure there is. Do you want something like:
Suspension