To clean or not to clean injectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Well...I'm getting really close to firing up this LS3! :893karatesmiley-thu

I've read in more than one place to have the injectors cleaned out before even attempting to start your motor if it's been sitting for any length of time. Mine hasn't run for at least a year that I know of.

What do you guys think? Just give er or what? Lol

Also, is there anything else I should do before my first start on this used motor?

Thanks!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I'd clean them. Plenty of video's on youtube. If you have any go bad, you might look at getting the larger ones off ebay. Dougbert found some for $60 for the set which is a steal. Link below. If you use the larger injectors, you'll need to change to tune to reflect that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-8-OE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Did you pressure fill the oil? There's plenty of link on youtube for that as well. Basically you pressurize a container that has oil in it, and put it into the port on the drivers side of the block. I haven't done it yet, but apparently it pushes oil through all the passages.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree. Clean 'em. In the TBI world, people send them to WitchHunter. They clean and flow test, which is good to know that they're doing right, and you more than likely save the injectors and $$$.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If most of the LS swapping guys are making the suggestion and they all agree, then I think I'd do it. There's probably something to it or they wouldn't suggest it. JMO

Afterall, if you read it on the internet then you know it's true. :shrug:

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
I'd clean them. Plenty of video's on youtube. If you have any go bad, you might look at getting the larger ones off ebay. Dougbert found some for $60 for the set which is a steal. Link below. If you use the larger injectors, you'll need to change to tune to reflect that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-8-OEM-NEW-Delphi-Fuel-Injector-6-0L-GM-12613412/132202083540?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Did you pressure fill the oil? There's plenty of link on youtube for that as well. Basically you pressurize a container that has oil in it, and put it into the port on the drivers side of the block. I haven't done it yet, but apparently it pushes oil through all the passages.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wicked, thanks for the detailed info and the link!

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
I agree. Clean 'em. In the TBI world, people send them to WitchHunter. They clean and flow test, which is good to know that they're doing right, and you more than likely save the injectors and $$$.

Appreciate the info! Thanks.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
If most of the LS swapping guys are making the suggestion and they all agree, then I think I'd do it. There's probably something to it or they wouldn't suggest it. JMO

Afterall, if you read it on the internet then you know it's true. :shrug:

Agreed.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
At lest cycle them nanually as they tend to stick

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I disagree. I picked my last LS up off the ground at the junkyard on 1/2 off day, opened it, looked around, reused every single bolt and gasket and put it in and did burnouts.

I've never cleaned an injector in my life, and have never stuck a stock one. I tend to keep thing's as simple as possible.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It worked out for you, but on two ls swaps in my case I had a couple of stuck injectors. And also on a 7.4 vortec. It is worth checking. They might just unstick after idling for a bit or they might not.
I disagree. I picked my last LS up off the ground at the junkyard on 1/2 off day, opened it, looked around, reused every single bolt and gasket and put it in and did burnouts.

I've never cleaned an injector in my life, and have never stuck a stock one. I tend to keep thing's as simple as possible.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell