Timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billyjoe12

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i know this is really weird but when timing my 79 k10 350 the indicator on the Hb only shows up when the timing light is hooked up to cylinder 6 not cylinder 1 does anyone know why this would happen? The truck does run.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Moved your thread from Site News to Engine Performance to get you some help here.

Sounds like something is 180 degrees out. But, go ahead and time it off the #6 and see it runs. If it's good, does it really matter where the light times from? Most of us actually time by ear since timing chain wear, distributor wear and such in these old engines can affect the light making it lie to you like a $10 crack *****. There's still reasons to use a timing light. I verified a bad harmonic balancer by using a light for example. If you're not real good at timing by ear, it'll at lest give you a base to start from. I prefer using a degreed timing light and I can verify timing by marks as called by the book. Then advance or time by ear and performance from there, lock it down where I like it, then use the light again to find out where my happy place is and record that. Next time I check my timing I can put it right back in the same place and if performace isn't as good then I know I have even more timing chain wear and will compensate even further. That's just me though. I'm certain others will disagree or have a different technique how they do their.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Actually, you can set timing from #1 and #6 cylinders.. They fire 180 cam degrees apart and 360 crankshaft degrees apart.. I suspect either you're not connecting the light to #1 plug wire or you have some "cross fire" that affects the timing light.. To help prevent this, I always connect the light to the wire in a area where the wire spacing is widest...

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep, the arrow faces the plug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member