Ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zero Hero

Reaction score
First Name
Zane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 ci/ 5.7 L
I recently took my truck into the shop for a new starter turns out it also needed a ring gear. After getting the truck back with its new ring gear, starter, and rear main seal I hear a consistent ticking coming from it. You can hear it the best by the drive and passenger doors and under the truck. I've read up on some google searches and found it might be sticking valves and to find out you could put a screwdriver against the vale coveres and your ear against the other side and if it was sticking valves you could hear the sticking clearly through the screwdriver. When I did this i couldn't hear the ticking so I believe the valves are good. Anybody have an idea what it might be?

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I fumbled around looking for a ticking noise as well, turned out to be the mechanical fuel pump, put your screw driver on it (long screw driver). just a thought

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Check fora header leak, that can sound like lifter sometimes..

X2 on the exhaust leak. A loose bolt on the manifold to block surface, or where the down pipe leaves the manifold.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Put a rag over the tail pipe and hold it there while it’s running. If there is a leak it will hiss.

Zero Hero

Reaction score
First Name
Zane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 ci/ 5.7 L
Put a rag over the tail pipe and hold it there while it’s running. If there is a leak it will hiss.

Over the end of the tail pipe or where?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Over the end of the tail pipe or where?
Yes if you have duals do one at a time or if single with dual tail pipes you will need to block both. May need another set of ears to find the hiss. If they jacked the engine around while pulling the trans the may have broken something.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I've also done this trick with a vacuum cleaner wand and rag to make leaky manifold gaskets hiss. You can't leave it there too long, though, because that motor'll get hot.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've also done this trick with a vacuum cleaner wand and rag to make leaky manifold gaskets hiss. You can't leave it there too long, though, because that motor'll get hot.
It shouldn’t take to long to expose the leak

Zero Hero

Reaction score
First Name
Zane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 ci/ 5.7 L
I had only a short time to test the exhaust leak but when I covered the exhaust I couldn't hear hiss nor my assistant but we could still hear the ticking. But a little while after the exhaust test I was driving pressed the clutch in to **** and realized it stop making the tick which is weird because when it's stoped idling in neutral you can hear it tick any different ideas?
I'm probably going to take it back to the shop tomorrow.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I had only a short time to test the exhaust leak but when I covered the exhaust I couldn't hear hiss nor my assistant but we could still hear the ticking. But a little while after the exhaust test I was driving pressed the clutch in to **** and realized it stop making the tick which is weird because when it's stoped idling in neutral you can hear it tick any different ideas?
Sounds like a clutch issue when it’s idling and it ticks is the clutch pedal pushed in or out?

Zero Hero

Reaction score
First Name
Zane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 ci/ 5.7 L
Sounds like a clutch issue when it’s idling and it ticks is the clutch pedal pushed in or out?

The clutch has no pressure on it what so ever and I can hear ticking

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The clutch has no pressure on it what so ever and I can hear ticking
So with the clutch pedal out it ticks and when you push it in it stops ticking? Not being dumb just want to clarify.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Why hasn't someone jumped on this? I've never had to press my clutch to ****. Lol. I think we have another thread for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey