throttle spacer, air gap, or...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Air tap has ......well an air tap under the runners the regular performer does not. The air tap is to promote a cooler, denser air/ fuel charge. And both pictured are for a Vortec cab swap. Just so you are aware.
I get the air gap part of it now. My main concern is the undivided plenum. The Edelbrock dual planes that I’ve found, that have the undivided plenum are all air gap. I just want the undivided plenum.
You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The single plain manifolds have a big open area under the carb and are usually reserved for Engines that make power in the higher rpm levels. Dual plain manifolds generally work from idle to 5500ish rpm. Then there are the dual plains that have the center decider notched. This gives you a good balance of torque and rpm range. This practice has been common in budget hot rodding because dual plain manifolds are plentiful and cheap used. Only take a few minutes to take a small piece out of the center.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
You use square bore carb manifolds with the sniper efi system right?

It has a 4150 flange. I just put mine on and got it running this weekend on a performer rpm. Holley said it will work fine with the divided plenum, lots of people are running them with no issues. The biggest complaint when using one is a whistle at idle since the iac bleed is in the middle. The spacer usually solves that. I didn't use a spacer an have no whistle so far. I did have a heat insulating gasket under my edelbrock carb that I kept but it also has material up the middle like the manifold.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I like the gold sniper, even if it’s obscured by the air cleaner.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I get the air gap part of it now. My main concern is the undivided plenum. The Edelbrock dual planes that I’ve found, that have the undivided plenum are all air gap. I just want the undivided plenum.

****, I'm sorry. My info is mostly from when I researched manifolds for my 454. The bbc performer rpm has the joined plenum. I assumed the sbc manifolds would be the same way. It looks like with sbc only the air gap performer rpm has the joined plenum. The main reason I suggested the performer rpm over the air gap is the price difference, so if you're ok with that the air gap would be a great manifold overall.

Here is a cheap alternative with the joined** plenum. But it's reviews are mixed, bit of a gamble.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-52028/overview/make/chevrolet

**edit:said divided instead

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Buy whatever manifold you find for a price you like. I believe you're overanalyzing this a little (I can do the same sometimes myself). Read through the Holley instructions an forums, they basically tell you any manifold will work. If you find one with out the gap cheap buy it an 5 mins with a rotary file will make a gap in it if it makes you feel better....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If a dual plan doesn’t work put a spacer on it. It will be the same as a dual plain with the divider notched

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I like the gold sniper, even if it’s obscured by the air cleaner.

If you can't tell I'm building my truck to be more low maintenance polishing an cleaning wise. I'll work on the truck installing stuff all day an it won't bother me. The thought of cleaning an polishing stuff I dread lol. Plus all the new carbs back in the day were gold so I thought that was cool...

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
If a dual plan doesn’t work put a spacer on it. It will be the same as a dual plain with the divider notched

This is basically what Holley will tell you. Run it, if it whistles an it bothers you, add a spacer.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I run one for more intake volume. Lol

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
this is what i was thinking. in the video, they say the air gap AND spacer would've likely yielded the most broad power band. back to scouring craigslist...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisd9997