Thoughts/Feedback on running with inner tubes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikeyworks

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey all,

I'm putting some 33's on my truck that I picked up from a buddy. He let me have them saying he didn't know what to do with them. They have good tread on them, but he had picked up some nails in them. So I thought I would give them a shot.

I pulled the nails and put plugs in (typical auto parts store vulcanizing plug strips), but to give myself a little more sense of security, I thought about running inner tubes in the tires.

Can anyone give any advice on running tubes in tires? I found some that will fit at the local auto parts store and another set at Tractor Supply...but I've heard some people talk about them not running right, wearing our quick because of rubbing on the sidewalls, damaging the sidewall from rubbing, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Mike

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've run tubes in paddle tires on my buggy and I have tubes in my 36s. Baby powder is your friend in both cases. Balancing can be a bitch but Equal can be fed into the valve stem it's what tractor trailer tires use to balance them. It does make the assembly a bit heavier.

Oldrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Have you thought of having the holes patched on the inside to see if that would stop the leaks?

Mikeyworks

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Great feedback team! I really appreciate it. I'm going to get the tires mounted...if I experience leaks, I'll put the tubes in myself and follow the recommendations.

I have plugged the holes and plan to smooth/scuff the inside tonight and install patches as a second level of protection...just checking my long term options.

Thanks!

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Once again HK hits it right on the head! And you are doing exactly what I was going to recommend, buff the insides smooth and install patches. Moisture and glue leads to rubbing, rubbing leads to heat and tube failure. So after you patch the holes, let everything dry and apply baby powder to the inside of the tires and the outside of the tube. Don't over-do it, just enough to stick to the surface.
I like to test fit the tube stem to the wheel before doing anything else. They don't always fit or are clocked wrong.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Plugs on the outside, patches on the inside. If the puncture is on the shoulder of the tread, plug in with 2 plugs. Be sure to trimm the excess amount of plug protruding from the tire. As long as the plug is flush, it shouldn't pull out under acceleration. Im not a big fan of tubes for anything used on paved surfaces. If the tube lets go, so will your control of the situation....and its a bitch to properly balance. In addition to the plugs and patches, slime can also be used in moderation. Slime works, but it will cause the steel wheels to rust a bit.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Plugs on the outside, patches on the inside. If the puncture is on the shoulder of the tread, plug in with 2 plugs. Be sure to trimm the excess amount of plug protruding from the tire. As long as the plug is flush, it shouldn't pull out under acceleration. Im not a big fan of tubes for anything used on paved surfaces. If the tube lets go, so will your control of the situation....and its a bitch to properly balance. In addition to the plugs and patches, slime can also be used in moderation. Slime works, but it will cause the steel wheels to rust a bit.
Did you ever use Equal, or air soft BBs? No problem at all with either of those....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trchno