THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE REPLACEMENT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
I have a pulley (power steering I think) squeaking like no tomorrow until I throttle up really high. My brother-in-law is a Chevrolet technician and keeps telling me to replace the pump and swap over to the serpentine setup.

Anyone here made the swap. If so, was it worth it? Price and Labor?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I did a swap on 85 truck. New water pump, everything else from a parts vehicle. But why not just fix the problem with one of the current set up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I can see the benefits of either set up with neither being a must have in my opinion. I would swap the pulley and move on. Aftermarket serpentine setups can get pricey and piece mealing a used OEM setup can be time consuming. Spend your time and money elsewhere.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I brought a junkyard motor from a 94 for my 87. Had the aluminum brackets on it and the serprentine set up on it. Worked good had to get an adapter for the alternator wiring that was it.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Anyone here made the swap. If so, was it worth it? Price and Labor?

No. Doubt it. Ain't worth it.

Gotta serpentine that's tight as it can get without breaking something and it still squeals when it's cold or wet. Yes, I've tried belt dressing, WD-40 and soap, replaced the belt and took off the drives to give them a light media-blasting.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The cast aluminum on a serpentine system doesn't look so good to me.
Plus, I like having that 2nd belt around the water pump, so you can make it to the next town after throwin a belt. As long as one doesn't take out the other.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I prefer the multi belt accessory drive myself. I can’t stand snaking that serpentine belt around on some vehicles. The little belts keep it simple for me.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
No. Doubt it. Ain't worth it.

Gotta serpentine that's tight as it can get without breaking something and it still squeals when it's cold or wet. Yes, I've tried belt dressing, WD-40 and soap, replaced the belt and took off the drives to give them a light media-blasting.

sounds like you have an idler pulley squealing not the belt.

I think its worth it, I hate adjusting v belts either to tight or to loose, then if you can get them right they loosen over time. Belt replacement is easier, its always tight, they dont bolt to your exhaust causing you a headache when trying to find headers. Ill never have another vehicle with V belts, I used late 90 Camaro serp on my vette and 97 vortec truck on my truck.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

I think its worth it, I hate adjusting v belts either to tight or to loose, then if you can get them right they loosen over time. Belt replacement is easier, its always tight, they dont bolt to your exhaust causing you a headache when trying to find headers. Ill never have another vehicle with V belts, I used late 90 Camaro serp on my vette and 97 vortec truck on my truck.

That’s very true. I’m singing the v-belt song now, but I imagine in ten or twenty years, I’ll be sick of them or at least want to try something new.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
That’s very true. I’m singing the v-belt song now, but I imagine in ten or twenty years, I’ll be sick of them or at least want to try something new.

The only thing I dont like about the voertec serp setup is you have to take it loose to get the ds valve cover out...needless to say I wont be using them again.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

No idler pulley.

I wish there was a setup for a 'toothed' belt like a timing belt. End of problem.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
No idler pulley.

I wish there was a setup for a 'toothed' belt like a timing belt. End of problem.

tensioner pulley?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
2.8 V6. Never came with one from the factory.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL