the correct leafspring lift to hold 454 level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomjuice86

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
High Sierra
Engine Size
to be more clear on the title, i currently have a half ton truck with stock springs. after putting a 454 bb in the front dropped down significantly (knowing it would happen). im in the process of uprgrading the leaf spring suspension to hold the front of the truck level with the big block in it. also instead of buying new stock 3/4 springs i was searching for 6" leaf spring kits but most of the suppliers say their front 6" leaf springs for 3/4 ton will not hold the front of the truck level with a bbc. any suggestions. also wasnt planning on 6" one ton springs and feeling like a ride in a dump truck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The front springs in lift kits are not specific to K10-K30. The reason for different kits is so you get the correct hardware (different axles use different u-bolts).

And most 6 inch lift springs are stiff. They will hold up a big block fine. But there's a couple companies (Tuff Country for example) that offer a soft spring and an HD spring, you would want the HD spring so they don't sag. One more thing, these trucks were not designed to sit level to begin with, so the average lift kit is going to raise the front and rear the same amount.

oldchevy4x4

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't know how set you are on 6 in. Something to think about would be to use c-k20 rear 52 inch leaves in the front and set up the shackle to be about 1 1/2 inches lower (netting about 5 1/2 of lift, add the BBC and you'll be at about 4 1/2). Then for the rear do a shackle flip (4" of lift) and add airbags for load carrying ability. That should should sit level and with airbags you can keep it level with a load and hassle good the rest of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk