The Bench Seat...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So, I am curious, who here has had a shop rebuild their bench seat? The driver side of mine is sitting so low, I look like an old man who can barely see over the steering wheel and I am 6 foot 2! The cover is fine, just need the driver side rebuilt. Any ideas on cost? Thanks!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So, I am curious, who here has had a shop rebuild their bench seat? The driver side of mine is sitting so low, I look like an old man who can barely see over the steering wheel and I am 6 foot 2! The cover is fine, just need the driver side rebuilt. Any ideas on cost? Thanks!
Just get a seat from a yard with a good cushion some hog rings and hog ring pliers and have at it. It isn't hard to do. If it's vinyl sit it in the sun to make your seat cover a bit more flexible. Just st be careful removing the cover your keeping. You can practice pulling the cover off the replacement seat.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
You have a few options here and prices vary on location really but having a shop re-foam the seat would probably at least $200 where I'm from.

If I remember correctly the seat bottom is one long piece across so if you want to service only your driver side then you would have to cut and graft in new foam. If it were my vehicle I would order seat bottom foam, hog rings, and pliers online to try the install myself. I would also get some burlap to line the bottom where the foam meets the spring to help reduce wear on the foam.

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
Open it up and see what is failed. might be some broken springs, seat foam (buns), put it back together.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have done a fix before by replacing a tension wire and stuffing foam from below before. Cost was zero due to access to wire and foam.
You must be registered for see images attach

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
I reupholstered one with foam and cover from LMC. Turned out nice and wasn't real hard.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I dont have hog ring pliers and have done seats while I worked in the shop. I wish I had bench to rebuild. But I would look into a local shop to recover, thats just me. I want something different like houndstooth.

Kasey 1977 K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kasey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I had mine rebuilt and recovered at a local shop here in Hillsboro, OR. It was a bit costly ($400) but I love the end result. They fixed some springs, replaced some of the cushion and recovered it based on an idea...http://chevy.piratesproductions.com/2016/05/bench-looking-good.html

seabee

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Had mine redone and shop found broken springs.The shop bench out a had welded . Turned out good but should have had cushion replaced after sitting on it for 30 years

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Just had mine done a few days ago here on Long Island (land of everything expensive)... Total rebuild, new springs, frame had to be welded, new foam, and new vinyl with a chevy emblem sewn in. Cost was $500 cash and I am super pleased with the results. Oh and he added baby seat latches for my two boys car seats.

Yes those are alignment marks for the bowtie... they wiped right off:)

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I had my entire bench seat rebuilt...springs, better padding and even had the sides and center bolstered a bit more than oem. I upgraded from the vinyl to material. The entire job took the local shop two days and cost $265.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I had my entire bench seat rebuilt...springs, better padding and even had the sides and center bolstered a bit more than oem. I upgraded from the vinyl to material. The entire job took the local shop two days and cost $265.

How ever are you gonna get a console in there?:happy175::happy175::happy175:

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

That looks great! $265 ain't bad, either. I'll have to do some checking around town and see if I can get a similar quote somewhere. Thanks!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Looks great, I like that material...:waytogo:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, I can't get over how good that material looks. Worth every penny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat