th400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

watertreatpete

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I need some help with inspecting some parts from my TH400, what should I be looking for? The rear planetarys look like they got hot, Is this normal? Any tips?

You must be registered for see images

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
They're all like that I have never seen any that wasn't, and I would tend to think it's from heat treating because I've seen them cooked many times, and they don't just get discolored they turn all out black, and when that happens they get all warped and parts don't move or go together freely, from the pics I don't see any issues, main thing to check there are the pinions for slop..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
They're all like that I have never seen any that wasn't, and I would tend to think it's from heat treating because I've seen them cooked many times, and they don't just get discolored they turn all out black, and when that happens they get all warped and parts don't move or go together freely, from the pics I don't see any issues, main thing to check there are the pinions for slop..
My thoughts exactly but with a lot less words.lol but I wanted your confirmation.:waytogo:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My thoughts exactly but with a lot less words.lol but I wanted your confirmation.:waytogo:
Well, since he's new to this figured it wouldn't hurt to elaborate a bit, I could have rambled on more on it but one thing at a time.. :D

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
BTW Pete, how bout making this a build thread and post pics as you go along..

watertreatpete

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks for the help, I am new to this, First time I have had one apart before. I will try to document it as best as I can.

I thought the trans was making some noise under part throttle but I haven't found much wrong with it other than some small looking hot spots on the steels. The thrust washers(with the tabs) look like they are worn, most of the copper is gone from them. I will see if I can get some pictures of them.

Also there was some fine metal powder on the magnet.

Are there any other areas that could cause grinding or anything in general that I should look for?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No problem man, this is a good way to learn, post pics of all the parts as you take it apart so we can see them and we'll point out any discrepancies, as far the the thrust washers don't worry about the copper, lot of kits don't even have copper on them to begin with, post pics of the washers and we'll point out anything not right about them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84