TH400 Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Ok folks, looking for some input here. I know next to nothing about transmissions except they attach to the rear of the engine and transfer that power to the rear axle on my truck via the drive shaft. What I do know is that my truck chews them up and spits them out quite frequently! Ya see, I like to put my leg into it sometimes up to the knee and the next thing I know it's slipping like crazy. Have been told I'm burning them up because they can't handle the horsepower. I have gone through 3 trannys (all stock th400's) so far since my engine rebuild. Looking at getting a beefed up th400 that can handle it. Anyone got any suggestions as to what I might need and a reputable place to acquire it? I have been warned that most of the transmission shops in my area are rip offs. I don't mind paying for what I get but I want to get what I pay for! Regretfully I never had the engine dyno'ed but it should be pumping about 550 to 600 HP! Thank you in advance for your input.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
that's some serious hp. what's your engine setup?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
That's too much for a stock 400 which I imagine is why you burn em up.
Did you ever know that the transmission ID provides a clue to knowing how much torque it was built to handle under warranty?
A th400 for example, can adequately transfer 400 lb/ft.
A th350 is rated to handle 350 lb/ft , and etc.
What about my th250? Yep, you guessed it.

Unfortunately there is not such a beast as a th600, so starting with a 400 is as good as you will get, eh?

From experience, I own a Jeg's brand, blueprinted th350 that I bought to use behind a 400 ish lb/ft 362, 17 years ago. It chirps third...still.

I know they sell a th400, but it's rated to the same 450HP as the th350?

I suggest considering THIS!
It would be MY first choice...
http://www.jegs.com/i/B-M/130/112002/10002/-1

You must be registered for see images attach

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's too much for a stock 400 which I imagine is why you burn em up.
Did you ever know that the transmission ID provides a clue to knowing how much torque it was built to handle under warranty?
A th400 for example, can adequately transfer 400 lb/ft.
A th350 is rated to handle 350 lb/ft , and etc.
What about my th250? Yep, you guessed it.

Unfortunately there is not such a beast as a th600, so starting with a 400 is as good as you will get, eh?

From experience, I own a Jeg's brand, blueprinted th350 that I bought to use behind a 400 ish lb/ft 362, 17 years ago. It chirps third...still.

I know they sell a th400, but it's rated to the same 450HP as the th350?

I suggest considering THIS!
It would be MY first choice...
^^^Another excellent suggestion up there!^^^

I'd pay the extra to get the heavy duty parts that cost more. 34 element intermediate sprang. Hardened direct drum, if you can.

The 2nd option- build it yourself. There's tons of info online, and help around here.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Start with one out of a 1 ton/HD they have a bit better pieces inside.

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
id say pick up one built to handle that kind of power.

Gearstar is a good brand.

there is about 1000 places you could buy one to handle your power ranges.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
that's some serious hp. what's your engine setup?
My very first attempt at an engine rebuild. After months upon months of internet research and figuring out what would work with what this is the end result! From this to this!
Will dig up my build sheet this evening!

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks all for the input and suggestions so far. I really don't want to go through another learning curve and research and attempt to do it myself. The day I finally fired the engine up on the stand my heart was in my throat! Had I succeeded or had I assembled a $5000 paperweight? What a relief when it turned over and grumbled at me without throwing rods through the block! Don't know if I can handle that type of anxiety again! Just looking at buying a good one rated at what I need so I can just slap it in and be done. Have been eying a place called Monster Transmission out of Florida. Anybody heard anything about them or dealt with them?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Thanks all for the input and suggestions so far. I really don't want to go through another learning curve and research and attempt to do it myself. The day I finally fired the engine up on the stand my heart was in my throat! Had I succeeded or had I assembled a $5000 paperweight? What a relief when it turned over and grumbled at me without throwing rods through the block! Don't know if I can handle that type of anxiety again! Just looking at buying a good one rated at what I need so I can just slap it in and be done. Have been eying a place called Monster Transmission out of Florida. Anybody heard anything about them or dealt with them?
Run as far and as fast away from them as possible. They don't have a very good reputation.

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
yup ive heard of monster. i considered them myself just like you (decent prices and what not.)

most reviews ive found of them are bad and reputable people on this forum has said to stay away from Monster. so i listened lol.

jakes performance would be good. Gearstar, b&m, have heard decent things about TCI parts but nothing specific to a transmission.

other option is find a good local place. i know you said you heard places near you are scams but there has to be a good one some where. just find one that will back their work.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Run as far and as fast away from them as possible. They don't have a very good reputation.
X1000
Monster is crap. Unless you need practice removing your Tran. Buy one and you’ll have lots of it.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
if you go to a local ATRA shop, isn't there easy recourse for warranty work?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128