TH400 Kickdown switch information...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Worked exactly as advertised! A little scary pushing it up, I got a crunchy sound. But mashing the gas pedal re-adjusted it.

You are right, it only activates the switch with a completely mashed pedal. No accidental downshifts unless you really floor it!

Nice! Glad it worked for ya... :D The crunchy sound was the switch contacts getting moved across a serrated area that locks in the adjustment when you reset it like that.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You the man Slick! :grd:

Posted From Hell

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't know if all squares come with it, but I just checked my 85 K1500. It has the gas pedal bracket that has provisions for the Th400 kickdown switch even though it's a 700r4 truck OE. But, for anyone swapping to a Th400 and does NOT have the correct bracket for the Th400 kickdown switch, I have one. Not the whole assembly, just the bracket. I took it from the burnt cab truck. It's rusty from the fire, but it can be sanded a bit, a coat of rattle can paint and it be as good as new again. Hit me up if you need it.

eyezy

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Stepside
Engine Size
Hi
I have purchased one of these switches for my truck, I don't have the original plug or wiring for it in my 78 Stepside, so I was wondering if it matters which terminal on the switch I run the feed to the trans

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ignition power to the switch, activation wire out of the switch to the trans prong. I don't believe it matters which side of the switch you use. It's pretty much just a close the circuit type switch.

OEM used an Orange wire out of the switch to trans.

eyezy

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Stepside
Engine Size
Kool
Thanx Mate

Ian

fahd

Reaction score
First Name
fahd
Truck Year
Truck Model
r2500 sub
Engine Size
7.4L
I would like to thank every one to give great info abuot that
and very good pic .:):)

Doubletop

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I'm putting the kickdown switch back in my '87 with the TH400. Last owner took the switch off the pedal and disconnected the wire from the tranny. I've read in this post that one wire goes to tranny and the other goes to ignition source in fuse box. Does none of the wires go through the kickdown relay that's mounted on the firewall?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Push button on the shifter FTW lol
I like that as a secondary. Meaning, have the OEM swtich for WOT kickdown, but then have the button on the shifter to do it also. So if you don't want to go WOT to downshift, then you don't have to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDuke