th350 squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
While I was adjusting my rear brakes (manually spinning the rear wheels) I heard a squeal. I thought it was the brakes but on closer inspection I think its coming from the front of the transmission/torque converter. Both Rear wheels are off the ground, transmission is in neutral, transfer case is a NP203 but has been converted to part time, transfer case is in 2wd, hubs are unlocked, engine not running
What am I hearing?
Thanks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you're saying with the engine off. You're spinning the rear wheels, the driveshaft is then turning the output shaft to the transmission which means you are turning some of the internal parts of the transmission right?

If I had to guess, spin the wheels one way and hear the squeal, turn the wheels the opposite direction and you don't hear the squeal. If this is the case, the squeal you're hearing is the Intermediate roller clutch and that's normal in this type of condition. If you have the transmission sitting on a bench, with a yoke in the output shaft to spin it, you'd hear it.

I don't think you have anything to worry about if I understand what you're saying.

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That is exactly what im doing and yes i should of mentioned that it only squeals in one direction. Its been a while since ive adjusted rear drum brakes an dont remember hearing this.
Thanks for the heads up

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, nothing to worry about then. That's totally normal. That just means your roller clutch is working the way it's supposed to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat