Th-400 kickdown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Hi.

I bought a th-400 to put in my C20 where a th-250 currently resides... (bought it that way). It runs a standard th-350 type kickdown cable attached to the carburetor.
Of course it originally was equipped with a th-400 and I study on kickdown but don't know what parts were OE in the 1977 C20, so I can duplicate it.

Hi! I found this on eBay and thought you might like it! Check it out now! http://r.ebay.com/gEEyS7

Is this something I want to buy? What is a reasonable cost you say? See, it didn't sell and i've got him on the hook , ready to reduce the price? Is his description accurate? I see things LIKE THAT were installed in older cars...what about the squares? -that's a good part #...
I assume the wire out of that switch attaches to the lead on the trans?

Your insight will be appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hi.

I bought a th-400 to put in my C20 where a th-250 currently resides... (bought it that way). It runs a standard th-350 type kickdown cable attached to the carburetor.
Of course it originally was equipped with a th-400 and I study on kickdown but don't know what parts were OE in the 1977 C20, so I can duplicate it.

Hi! I found this on eBay and thought you might like it! Check it out now! http://r.ebay.com/gEEyS7

Is this something I want to buy? What is a reasonable cost you say? See, it didn't sell and i've got him on the hook , ready to reduce the price? Is his description accurate? I see things LIKE THAT were installed in older cars...what about the squares? -that's a good part #...
I assume the wire out of that switch attaches to the lead on the trans?

Your insight will be appreciated.

Looks complete. I usually pulsed a ground threw a shifter mounted button. It would trigger a relay to activate kick down. There were different methods of kick down. Out at the carb and like the pedal one you posted. @bucket could tell you which yours had originally. He’s smart like that.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine have all been mounted to the go pedal bracket. But the oldest one has been the '79 I have now, but I'd assume they were all on the pedal.

I actually need a couple of those guys too, but I never think to look under the dash of the trucks I see at the junkyard.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You're probably gonna want a new modulator too. Looks like that got whacked a good one....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Mine have all been mounted to the go pedal bracket. But the oldest one has been the '79 I have now, but I'd assume they were all on the pedal.

I actually need a couple of those guys too, but I never think to look under the dash of the trucks I see at the junkyard.
I will look under the dash of the R3500 that was Th400.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Modulator?

I see that listing has a screw. When I think about it, I LIKE the idea of a gas pedal kickdown. That makes sense to me, I guess it has something to do with line pressure? How does it full throttle upshift?
I both want and need to learn HOW that works.

Ima check out my Haynes mamual.

If I had this, I still need a switch?

Hi! I found this on eBay and thought you might like it! Check it out now! http://r.ebay.com/qOJEx1

That plug lookin thing is the floorboard pass thfough?

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Oh yeah..that's not on this transmission.

I has this. Is same?

Pic taken 2 seconds ago.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, and it took a big hit and it's junk now.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yeah, and it took a big hit and it's junk now.
Ummm I know th AMC used an upward swept madulator in the Jeeps. It’s big and ugly and points back and up. I will post a pic when I go out in the garage. It’s a Th400 with an AMC bellhousing.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ummm I know th AMC used an upward swept madulator in the Jeeps. It’s big and ugly and points back and up. I will post a pic when I go out in the garage. It’s a Th400 with an AMC bellhousing.
Interesting...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Interesting...
Here you be. On my friends Jeep I removed the ugly thing and put a little one on. I had to shorten the actuator rod. I used mine to get the proper length.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here you be. On my friends Jeep I removed the ugly thing and put a little one on. I had to shorten the actuator rod. I used mine to get the proper length.
Well, there's my new thing learned for the day. Pretty early too.... I have never seen one of those before.

I still think Rustynail or someone, dropped it on something and bent it. Who got their foot hurt last week???

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Well, there's my new thing learned for the day. Pretty early too.... I have never seen one of those before.

I still think Rustynail or someone, dropped it on something and bent it. Who got their foot hurt last week???
The Nailhead Th400 I put in his CJ had the same thing.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Interesting, never seen one like that before, of course I ain't messed with jeeps that much either, lol, learn something new every day..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara