Temperature and Oil pressure guages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pineywoodsbow

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I need a little education on how this works on my 85. I want to get the original guages working(right now an aftermarket guage for oil,temperature, and voltage is installed). I pulled the instrument cluster to see how I might go about this and noticed the printed circuit board, no connections for the temp line or oil pressure line. How would I go about reinstalling these guages?

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So you have the original gauges in the dash, but they are disconnected? Or does the truck have idiot lights?

Pineywoodsbow

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So you have the original gauges in the dash, but they are disconnected? Or does the truck have idiot lights?
Yes the original gauges are in the dash, but I'm guessing they are disconnected because the new aftermarket gauges are being used which are in a different location. I just don't understand this printed circuit board thing. How would I get these working again?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
sounds like the connections from the sending units to the original gauges have been replaced by the after market gauge sending units. Look around for loose wires under the hood.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Coolant temp should be green and oil pressure should be brown.

Pineywoodsbow

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Coolant temp should be green and oil pressure should be brown.
Thankyou! Could I just splice the original wires under the hood to the new aftermarket sending units?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thankyou! Could I just splice the original wires under the hood to the new aftermarket sending units?
GM and after market temp sensors run at a different resistance value so if your installing a proper sender I'd run new wiring. Or use mechanical gauges.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Someone replaced the stock guages. I would guess that they did not work properly, so You might try to hook them back up with stock sending units - I wouldn't pull the aftermarket mess out until you see the stock one working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1