Temp Gauge, volt meter, gas gauge, oil pressure, not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted1

Reaction score
First Name
Yup
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hello,

I'm having gauge problems in a 1983 GMC High Sierra C1500 i just bought for my daily driver.

basically the only thing working on my cluster is the speedo and clock.

the only obvious ground wire i see coming off the back of cluster is black and attached from clock to bus bar. the clock is powered separately as well.

a test light on all pink wires on gauge plug show the #7 and #18(which is pigtailed in) have no power. all other pink wires are hot.

does anyone know where these pink wires are supposed to be getting power from? is there a fuse in line or in the fuse box that i should be checking?

i pulled every fuse in the panel and they are all good. i cleaned connections and put back and nothing....

pulled the fuse block on firewall and its clean as can be.

water temp sensor is new and i've inspected the green temp wire and its not grounded or melted anywhere.

i pulled the ground from cab to engine block and cleaned it up. no go.

i'm stumped?

gas gauge does not work either.

does anyone have any suggestions?

Lifted1

Reaction score
First Name
Yup
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
after playing around some more with a test light.

all the hot connections to gauges have power.

its good.

so does this mean theres a ground problem somewhere else?

the gas gauge shows about a 1/4 tank, doesnt matter if i flip the dual tank switch sides. needle dont move. its frozen. if i push the needle on gauge when i turn on ignition it goes right back to this spot. all gauges do that.

where does the ground from the cluster attach on a 1983 GMC?

does anyone have any ideas of what i can check out next?

thanks

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The instrument panel has its own ground wire, and it sounds like its not connected. On my '75 truck it was a black wire, connected to a grounding post on the emergency brake pedal mechanism. It may be different on a newer truck.

The other item to check is the large multi-wire plug on the back of the panel, which has all the instrument panel wiring to the sensors. It may have come loose from the panel.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito