Tailgate Window Motor Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
My window won't even go down now. It'll just click when I apply the switch. I know my battery's days are numbered, but my two door windows go down. I turned the regulator cable with a drill, and the window rolls down fine. The only reason I posted is because it looks like the motor may have been replaced before. It is relatively shiny and it has two orange dots painted on it. I was just wondering if I missed something and don't need to fool with the motor yet. The regulator seems fine, the drive cable is turning... I have yet to see that twelve volts are getting to the motor on the up and down side, but I'm assuming yes because the window was just super slow when I got it. Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Check for power and see if the window was binding somewhere causing motor to die. There are also instructions floating around on how to adjust the window correctly

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Verify the tailgate has a good ground. Typically (and with rusty K5 gates) the ground circuit faces a LOT of resistance and those motors are a self grounding type meaning your dash switch only applies +12V in either direction-the motor casing is grounded by being bolted to the gate which is chassis grounded to the truck via the attaching hardware.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128