Tach cluster issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueK20

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys, I bought a 1980 Tach Cluster for my 1978 K20, Hooked everything up and all gauges work except tach, at first when i turned on the truck, it zero'd itself (was at 1500) and while cranking over truck it said about 400 RPM, but once truck was running, the needle would point straight down (Literally at my legs) and it doesn't respond to revs at all.

Is the tach screwed? or do i have another issue, i ended up undoing ground and moving it to other areas, and the needle would wrap around and do the same thing.

any ideas? or am i stuck with buying one from classic industries or somewhere?

also does anyone reproduce the tach cluster housing?

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pretty sure something is messed up on the circuit board of the tach. (Not to be confused with the printed circuit for the other gauges.) There is a good write up somewhere on the web about what the problem might be. You could fix it yourself if you can solder on circuit boards. I have a link to it on my home computer. One of the Corvette parts stores makes a new one for around $90. I can't for the life of me remember which Corvette place however. The repoped ones from Classic fit like crap. I bought and sent it back because it was so bad. I do not believe anyone reproduces the tach housing, no.

edit: Willcox Corvette

edit again: Here's a fix-it link... http://howtoalmanac.com/kevin/projects/automotive/tachfixtruck.htm

Last edited:

BlueK20

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just realized. I don't have a "tach filter" on the tach wire. Would that fry the tach? It didn't come with a harness so I just used the wires from my autometer

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Possibly. I have been thinking of putting a filter in the wire when/if I ever get my factory one installed. I am assuming you can use one from any GM vehicle. I thought I saw one cheap for the El Camino/Monte Carlo recently.

I have an aftermarket tach harness from Classic for our trucks, and it doesn't have a filter on it. Not sure what that means.

daylight

Reaction score
First Name
gilbert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
250 inline 6
howdy i going to a swap myself from a 81 blazer to 78 c10. did you have to change the senders on the oil, water, guages? i only had idiot lights. on the tach harness what does the filter look like? was going to order one from classic parts.the guys at classic were not sure about the tach filter?

thanks gil

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
GM tachs have a nasty habit of not working properly without the filter installed.
The filters also have a nasty habit of dying.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
GM tachs have a nasty habit of not working properly without the filter installed.
The filters also have a nasty habit of dying.

The GM tach filters are not complex. Resistors and an electrolytic capacitor. Forty five years is a long lifespan for electrolytic capacitors. GM likely they used carbon resistors too because they're cheap... those don't last any longer than the electrolytics.
The 1983 wiring diagrams have the schematic for the tach filter.

The tach circuit isn't incredibly complex either. It can be repaired if it's not one of the coated boards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat