Switching to 81-82 grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
like the title says i am going to switch to this style. i have searched everywhere and can not find anyone that has actually done this but i would like to know if there is a good clean way to retain and mount my factory 1984 turn signal/running lights behind the grille with using an 81-82 style grille? i have access to that style bumper but its not in great shape and my 84 bumper is so... anyone ever done this ????

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
like the title says i am going to switch to this style. i have searched everywhere and can not find anyone that has actually done this but i would like to know if there is a good clean way to retain and mount my factory 1984 turn signal/running lights behind the grille with using an 81-82 style grille? i have access to that style bumper but its not in great shape and my 84 bumper is so... anyone ever done this ????
I wish I had the earlier grille to give you the best information, but I'll try to help because I know the later grille. The lights use little plastic studs that are integrated into the plastic and the grille is notched so the light fits in nice and cozy. The lights mount at the bar that goes across the middle on the newer one so I think it'd be possible to make it work on the new one. What I'd do is find a plastic bolt with a small, flat head and adhere it to the back of the grille using a clean, high strength epoxy. You'd need to be very careful with this because it'll bug you if they're not on there even. Then you can slip the lights over the bolts and secure them with push nut fasteners. I can't think of a cleaner way to do it than that.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Why are you wanting to change to 81/82 grill out of curiousity? Personally, I like the 85-88 grill better than the 81-84 grills. Though it's all personal preference and we like what we like and it's our truck, so well make it the way we want it. I'd like an 85-88 grill with an 81/82 bumper and put either driving or fog lights in the bumper. I was just wondering what you're trying to accomplish. :shrug:

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I wish I had the earlier grille to give you the best information, but I'll try to help because I know the later grille. The lights use little plastic studs that are integrated into the plastic and the grille is notched so the light fits in nice and cozy. The lights mount at the bar that goes across the middle on the newer one so I think it'd be possible to make it work on the new one. What I'd do is find a plastic bolt with a small, flat head and adhere it to the back of the grille using a clean, high strength epoxy. You'd need to be very careful with this because it'll bug you if they're not on there even. Then you can slip the lights over the bolts and secure them with push nut fasteners. I can't think of a cleaner way to do it than that.

sure will take that into consideration. thanks a lot man. i may pull the 81 bumper off of the truck if its still there at the yars come saturday but i just like the lights behind the grille looks way better imo.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Why are you wanting to change to 81/82 grill out of curiousity? Personally, I like the 85-88 grill better than the 81-84 grills. Though it's all personal preference and we like what we like and it's our truck, so well make it the way we want it. I'd like an 85-88 grill with an 81/82 bumper and put either driving or fog lights in the bumper. I was just wondering what you're trying to accomplish. :shrug:

i like the look of the 81-82 better and previous owner of my truck had 84 grille with no center strip/bowtie and 85-87 bezels.. its kinda like the same reason why would any of us use a carburetor when we could go buy a brand new eco boost or a gdi type engine; or use a turbo 350 or 700r4 when you can have a twin clutch automatic trans with 8 freaking gears lol.. all personal preference. the 81-82 bumper with fog lights is a pretty good idea you have there, i may look into that, thanks

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
well i ended up buying a 81 c20 bumper from the junkyard and went and bought some new sockets from autozone from the dusty shelf lol. hopefully the wiring swap is a quick cut and splice, cause i dont feel like digging out the power probe and testing **** tonight

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shock loaded