Swapping TH400 w/ NP203 to SM465 w/ NP205

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Scottsdale

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottdale K20
Engine Size
I have a 77 K20 4x4 Scottsdale that currently has a SB400 with a TH400 trans and an NP203 Transfer case. The tranny blew this past summer and i just came across a deal i couldnt pass up. I bought a SM465 with an NP205 bolted to it with front and rear driveshafts, complete pedal assembly, and the bell housing. all out of the same year same model truck and picked it all up for $200. Ive always wanted to swap the truck to this combination as a sentiment to my fathers truck growing up. My question is can i / do i need to cut the center section of the my floor to make this combo fit? im all for it just wondering if its necessary. Also any recomendations for clutch sets up with these trannys? Its a 400HP summer toy. Shes gonna get used but not beat on to hard. Would a stock clutch set up be fine? Are there any other major gremlins that come with doing this swap? Everything came out of the same year same motor truck and will all be rebuilt prior to going in my truck so im hoping it should be pretty straight forward. Any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The only cutting that will need doing is for the shifter to go through, and there should be an indentation to show where that is. The tunnels for both trucks would have been the same.

Actually, if you still have access to the donor truck, those tunnel sections should unbolt.

77Scottsdale

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottdale K20
Engine Size
Good to know. Someone told me that i had cut the tunnel and widen it for the linkage to clear. I do have access to the donor so ill see about pulling the entire tunnel section. that would be so nice to unbolt and bolt in. save some cutting time.

Thanks

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Good to know. Someone told me that i had cut the tunnel and widen it for the linkage to clear. I do have access to the donor so ill see about pulling the entire tunnel section. that would be so nice to unbolt and bolt in. save some cutting time.

Thanks
Yeah, 4x4 to 4x4, the tunnels were the same. Especially since you scored the same year donor. The tunnel was different when you got to the 2wd auto, and again with the 2wd manual. At some point in the early to mid eighties they started using a 1 piece stamping for the floors, but you should be golden with what you have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg