Swapping over to a tilt column, different connectors on the unit to swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K10eddie

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello folks, I could use some help on this.

I'm swapping over to a new column, my current column is worn out, and the turn signal switch is broken. I was going to swap in this unit, but I noticed that the main connectors don't plug in. I don't have time to run to a yard to find donor stuff, is there a way I can de-pin my factory harness and slide the female connectors over the male connectors? Does someone have a schematic for this column and my truck? My truck is a 1979 K10, the donor column I'm unsure of what year it came from.

The square connector is what I have, and the other connector is what I'm trying to swap to.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hello folks, I could use some help on this.

I'm swapping over to a new column, my current column is worn out, and the turn signal switch is broken. I was going to swap in this unit, but I noticed that the main connectors don't plug in. I don't have time to run to a yard to find donor stuff, is there a way I can de-pin my factory harness and slide the female connectors over the male connectors? Does someone have a schematic for this column and my truck? My truck is a 1979 K10, the donor column I'm unsure of what year it came from.

The square connector is what I have, and the other connector is what I'm trying to swap to.

If I'm reading this correctly, the only problem is that you can't connect your harness to the component shown in one of the lower two images (neither one is square, but I am assuming that the top one is the one you want to use) - that shouldn't be an issue. That is the ignition switch BTW.

I have no experience with installing a later model ignition switch on to an early model column, but it is easy enough to check whether it will work. Compare the mounting brackets for both switches. If the elongated bolt holes in the old switch line up with the bolts in the new column...just remove the switch from the donor column and install the 1979 version in it's place. That will allow you to simply plug your truck's harness into the switch - because it will be the original switch.

Adjust as necessary after mounting.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Latest posts