swapped np205 4wd indicator light question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Do you have the wiring diagram for the NP208 4WD indication? I am working on my cab conversion on my 86 K10. My 86 didn't have a separate harness in back of the cluster for the 4WD indicator lamp. (Not that it didn't at some point over last 30 years.)

Here is a wiring diagram that I assume applies to the NP208 setup - because it includes that little lamp in the shift lever casing. The NP205 setup doesn't get that nice detail.

You must be registered for see images attach

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
If you buy either of these (Airtex or Standard Motor) you'll just end up sending them back - they are for 4WD indication on a NP208 (and also back-up lights on a TH350 IIRC)

Here is the required part for the 205 - note that the contacts are switched by a plunger/rod as opposed to a ball:

Trust me on this - I was too cheap to pay $122 for a switch from q4X4. Ended up tearing mine apart and rebuilding it. That exact style is the only one that will work due to the distance of the shift rail from the casing.

But it doesn't matter anyway right - you have one.

Back from the dead - did you repair a 205 style switch ?

If so, how ?
I pulled mine out tonight and there is a little spring that was loose in the transfer case.

Did not make any difference in the light, but without the spring it seemed like the transfer shifter was locked up.

Put the spring back in and the shifter moves relatively freely again ...

Thanks!
Britt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84