swapped np205 4wd indicator light question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I have a 87 V10 that has had the whole drivetrain replaced. It originally came with a 305 tbi, th700r, and np208 transfer case with auto locking hubs. It now has a 1984 305 carbed, np205, th350 and warner manual locking hubs.

My question is I have no indicator light on the dash for 4wd. It is not a big deal to me as I know when it is in 4wd but it would be a nice thing to have. There appears to be a indicator light in the cluster for 4wd but it never lights up. I'm not sure what year the np205 is from but there is an switch/sending or whatever you call it on the top pass side of the transfer case with the tabs bent. I can't find an electrical connector for it though.

What are my options for hooking up some type of indicator system? I would like it to work with the cluster but would be just as happy to rig up a light somewhere to illuminate when it was in 4wd. I don't have much skill or experience with electrical but am willing to learn. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Shouldn't be very hard to do, just plug the stock wires to the switch on the 205. If the switch is bad, it can be a problem finding a good one though.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Pull the knob and rubber boot off of the transfer case range selector shaft. There should be a pair of wires as indicated.

Since the original T/C was an NP 208 there should also be a pair of wires connected to a lamp holder (208's have an illuminated range select display) - you can snip and insulate them because the 205 display doesn't take a lamp.

You must be registered for see images attach

If the wires have been cut - or the connector is different (the 208 has a different switch connector so it probably will be), here is the correct pigtail for a 205. Only $22!

http://www.quad4x4.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=acton&key=90002

FYG - wiring diagram for the 205 4WD indication;

The socket/lamp for the dash 4WD indication are not part of the PC board. The wires are run as a separate group and the socket/lamp assembly just twists out of the back of the panel. Usually in the far left bay, next to the choke light.

You might not have to change the bulb though. Considering how infrequently that lamp is illuminated, it's a good bet that it isn't burnt out.

BTW - consider yourself lucky that you have the switch that mounts on the T/C. As Mr. bucket advises, they are obsolete and are not easily found. Quad4X4 does sell them, but @ $122 - I'd check the junkyards first.

Last edited:

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
That is very helpful, thank you. I can't find any wiring but will look again. i was looking for a plug underneath but it could be tucked under the carpet.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
found 4wd switch at rock auto for $20

I knew I had seen the 4wd indicator switch on Rockauto for less than $20 bucks. It won't let me post a link but go to rockauto.com. I choose 1984 because that is the year of my engine and just habit. Look under electrical switches and relays and it is the first popup. 4wd indicator. Two to choose from and both less than $20.

I've done a bit of research and the NP205 was made till 91. Mine has a build date of June 21, 1979. The switch on Rockauto only lists 81-87. I am wondering if the switch is the same but the connectors are different. In the picture it has the correct connector. The switch in the transfer has a different type of connector. I would call it a tab. I am going to call Rockauto tomm and see if they have any more info. I need a couple of other parts so it might be worth a shot.

I looked at the connector that listed in the link. It has the correct pigtail but I found it under the carpet along with a illumination bulb. I need a switch with the correct female end. I think for 20 bucks I will give the Rockauto switch a shot and post back here.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If you buy either of these (Airtex or Standard Motor) you'll just end up sending them back - they are for 4WD indication on a NP208 (and also back-up lights on a TH350 IIRC)

Here is the required part for the 205 - note that the contacts are switched by a plunger/rod as opposed to a ball:

Trust me on this - I was too cheap to pay $122 for a switch from q4X4. Ended up tearing mine apart and rebuilding it. That exact style is the only one that will work due to the distance of the shift rail from the casing.

But it doesn't matter anyway right - you have one.

Last edited:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I might have a wiring harness for it, I know I picked up a few just because I wanted to see what I could do with them.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the replies. Here are a couple of pics. My main issue is that the connector on the harness is different than the switch. I don't think the harness would do me any good as I'd end up with the same thing I already have. I really don't want to spend $122 on this. I"m already way way way over budget with the intake and new Quadrajet

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 826
  • PICT0013.jpg
    PICT0013.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 735
  • PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 886
  • PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 620
  • PICT0010.jpg
    PICT0010.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 596

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
You can see the tabs on the switch are bent but as long as there are only suppossed to be two of them.... Should be easy to fix.

Almost forgot to mention. The build date on the transfer case lists june of 1979.

Attachments

• PICT0009.jpg
    PICT0009.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 527

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That doesn't look like the right switch (from the outside anyway). I have only seen them with pin type connectors - as opposed to the spade type in the images.

Doesn't matter though - if it works it works. Test the switch by shifting the transfer case to either 4WD position (4H or 4L). Check for continuity across the terminals. If the switch closes in 4WD and opens in 2WD you saved $122.

Just snip the pin type connector off the harness, strip the wires back, squeeze on a couple of weather-tite female solderless conections and go.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Most of the 205's used that spade type connector, I'm guessing the weatherpack style started in '85 when a lot of other connectors were also changed to that type.

I took a pic of one of my connectors, it's just a rubber plug that incorporates the two female spade connectors.

I wouldn't even bother with the correct connector and just use a couple spades.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
cool. I just took her out in the blizzard a couple of hours ago. Left it in 4wd the whole time except when I had to go down a long hill in put it in 4lo. She is a beast but I need to get better tires as I had a hard time making it up my driveway.

Early next week I'll wire it up and post the results. Thanks again

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

steelburner83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L
I am trying to hook up my switch after a trans transfer swap I have the correct switch, wiring, and the dash bulb is good but I cannot get it to work, is there someone I can get some help from? switch is good according to the multi meter, and so is the bulb and socket but I can not get it to light up, almost like the switch isn't getting any power... any thoughts???

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
That doesn't look like the right switch (from the outside anyway). I have only seen them with pin type connectors - as opposed to the spade type in the images.

Doesn't matter though - if it works it works. Test the switch by shifting the transfer case to either 4WD position (4H or 4L). Check for continuity across the terminals. If the switch closes in 4WD and opens in 2WD you saved $122.

Just snip the pin type connector off the harness, strip the wires back, squeeze on a couple of weather-tite female solderless conections and go.

Do you have the wiring diagram for the NP208 4WD indication? I am working on my cab conversion on my 86 K10. My 86 didn't have a separate harness in back of the cluster for the 4WD indicator lamp. (Not that it didn't at some point over last 30 years.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg