Suburban tailgate bear claw latch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dutch

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 tbi
Hi all, I've slowly been bringing an '87 v20 suburban back to life and this site has been an amazing resource in doing so. Still, I'm running into a few specifics that I'd appreciate any input on:

I just replaced the completely rusted out tailpan and with the tailgate now properly re-aligned I have discovered that the passenger side latch won't close. I haven't been able to track a replacement down at a local junkyard, can't find one on eBay, nor does it seem anyone makes a direct replacement. So my questions are 1) is this latch the same unit as those in the doors? or 2) any leads on where I could find an [ideally] new assembly?

Thank you!

ratchetmaster

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You have the gate and not the barn doors, right?

Don't know how similar the blazer tail gate would be. if you have the doors, maybe vans might have a similar latch.

dutch

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 tbi
You have the gate and not the barn doors, right?

Yeah, I have the gate. Thanks for the parts link as well, unfortunately those are similar to what I have been able to find elsewhere. LMC has a grayed out diagram of the part (pic below), but nothing listed for sale...

I'll look into the latch on the barn doors though, that's a good thought.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Those latches can seize up a bit causing the little latch pawl in them not to move. I good cleaning and lube job will get them working again.

dutch

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 tbi
Thanks Bucket, turns out mine was pretty badly rusted and I had difficulty getting it moving smoothly again. Found a guy an hour south of me who was only asking $15 for a rusted out tailgate, everything included.

If anyone needs a drivers side latch give me a shout.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969