Suburban rear cargo doors to tailgate conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow83

Reaction score
First Name
Clyde
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban 4X4
Engine Size
Just wondering if it would be possible to convert from dual cargo doors to a tailgate on a Surburban? My takes on it should be able to be done as long as you have all the parts for a tail gate setup to bolt it right minus drilling a few holes.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
This was asked before and it's gonna take a whole lot more than just slapping a tailgate on and drilling some holes.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

As you can see, there's a big difference in the top as well.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The bottom door jamb/body support piece is different also.

Shadow83

Reaction score
First Name
Clyde
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban 4X4
Engine Size
Sry didn't know this has been asked before must have missed it some where.

Holy crap oly thats going to be a lot of work think I'll stick with the cargo doors for now away might get the wild hair to try and do it at a later date.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Other than changing out the lower jamb (I think it only bolts in?), the swap is supposed to be very easy. The earlier Burbs have all the correct bolt holes for both types. Supposedly, the later ones have the correct threaded holes under the top layer of sheet metal.

And most people go the other way. They ditch their rusted/malfunctioning tailgate and install the barn doors. I myself prefer the tailgate.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Other than changing out the lower jamb (I think it only bolts in?), the swap is supposed to be very easy. The earlier Burbs have all the correct bolt holes for both types. Supposedly, the later ones have the correct threaded holes under the top layer of sheet metal.

And most people go the other way. They ditch their rusted/malfunctioning tailgate and install the barn doors. I myself prefer the tailgate.

We need to wake this thread up. And bucket likes Tailgate better too. :waytogo:

I noticed most do like the barn doors. I think I do too, but IF I EVER get a 4x4 Burb, I want tailgate and power rear glass. So if anyone has anything to add, like pics or "hot to" info on how this is done, please update this thread with all you can.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Meh...

Sent from my iPod touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Meh...

:nutkick: I don't mind this 91 I have with barnyard animal farm doors. I like those too, but on the FoBuhFo, I have a purpose for wanting tailgate. But don't think for a second, I'd let Barn Doors keep me from buying a K20 Burb should I ever have to way and means to do so. Bucket seats is a bigger deal to me. And of course a K5 will set up with buckets and tailgate if I ever find one of those. I'll keep the 2wd Burb and Rock the 4wd K5, Keep the K10 pick up and sell the rest of them. That's the long term hope anyway.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Meh... LOL :flipthebird:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I do indeed like my tailgates better. I've only had the one so far with barn doors, and it's a good thing because it's so rotted that a tailgate never would have worked. So I have found that barn doors have a big advantage when it comes to rusty bodies.

HAZZARDJOHN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I have had both, and the tailgate is a major PITA. The barn doors are better, but in reality a liftgate would be preferable. My Dad's expedition is the best hunting rig we got, see a bird, jump out, open the gate get the dogs out and go. Tailgates you waste time rolling down the stupid window, and the barn doors don't allow access to the full cargo area with one handle. That said, I can tolerate barn doors and my tailgate was a huge waste of time.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes, but tailgates give you a place to sit/work/cook, the window gives you interior space for long items without folding seats, and it also is great ventilation for warmer days when you want fresh air. Rolling a window down is not a big deal to me at all.

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
In case you didn't figure it out, I'm a huge fan of the barn doors.. I would like to see someone do this though..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't mind hearse doors a bit, but I want my 4x4 to have a tailgate with power glass. It's going to be a Zombie Recon vehicle. So we can shoot the walkers out the back window from a moving ride, so it could be important to get the glass up and down from the driver seat. I sure don't want to have to cut a hatch in the roof in the middle seat area and have a gun turitt mounted on top of it. So yeah, tailgate for me if I had a choice.

If yours is Barn Doors I'm sure I can make it work for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg