Stupid question... maybe?

Discussion in 'Differential & Driveline' started by Shilaeli hugger, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Shilaeli hugger

Shilaeli hugger Full Access Member

Finally caught break in the weather n finished my 4 inch lift. Checkin front end (it seemed really loose with the 6 inch lift) and steering back in forth, sitting in driveway, the front axle is trying to rotate. One way it tilts up, other way it tilts down. Did i miss somethin stupid or do i have bigger problem? Or is it just cuz truck was sitting still while working wheel?

2. VAL

VAL Full Access Member

To a degree, Its the nature of the beast. It magnifies with a lift and bigger tires, especially turning the wheels at a stand still on concrete or pavement. The front to back motion of the steering box and drag link is the force that wants to tip your axle to and fro, if anything is loose or worn(spring bushings, U-bolts, etc.). I'd connect the sway bar if you haven't already. Crossover steering, from what I hear is a somewhat cure for that.

3. Keith Seymore

Keith Seymore Full Access Member

Agree. It's because of the fore/aft drag link connecting the spindle to the steering box.

You may find that, because of the rotational forces on the axle during braking, and because the drag link is incompressible, your truck will want to steer to the right or the steering wheel may roll to the left.

K

4. 87scotty

87scotty Full Access Member

Wow neber knew that i have same problem with mine 4 ivch lift! Recently removed sway bar do to worn bushings gonna be replaced soon! And if the axle is moving get new u bolts and center pin my center pin was wore out from u bolts not being tight. Previous owner problems!

5. Shilaeli hugger

Shilaeli hugger Full Access Member

Thanks for info. 87scotty, gotta love prwvious owners. Mine cut one end off sway bar and trucks pretty much gonna need rewired haha. Thanks again guys.