Stuck spindle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Does anybody have any good ideas on getting a stuck spindle off of the steering knuckle besides just pounding on it with a hammer and a 2x4? Shes on there good. Broke 2 chisels and been through 2 good hunks of oak with a hammer. And i have no torch to heat it. Its rusted up nice and tight to the knuckle. Any good ideas are excepted. Also could anybody give me a link to a replacement disk brake dust shield for a 10 bolt? Cant seem to find it. Thanks yall.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Very common problem. Most ended up using some heat and saturating the hell out of it and letting it soak with some liquid wrench, PB Blaster or your favorite nut buster potion. You know it's said that 50/50 of Acetone and Auto Trans Fluid is best nut buster over all of them other spray can products.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A propane torch kit from Home Depot or Lowes, and even Walmart isn't all that expensive. Just a small bottle of gas and a torch is nozzle isn't that much. In a kit, it usally comes with a striker too. If you want a bit hotter than Propane, Mapp Gas is hotter yet and sold in the same size bottles as the propane with the same end on it for the torch.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I remember spending a considerable amount of time with a rubber mallet, when I was in high school trying to get the ones off my '79. Took a while, but persistence pays off.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If the bearing is seized and galled onto the spindle and a torch is not available.
Use one big hammer under the bearing, a ten or twelve pound works nicely, and use another biggish hammer, like a three or four pounder and pound the piss out of the bearing, after the rollers and cage fall off, keep pounding, it will crack and shatter the bearing race, and it`ll then come off.
a word of WARNING ! ! ! crack and shatter! using this method, wear a heavyish coat or at least a pair of coveralls and protect Your face and eyes, when the pieces of that hard steel start flying off, they will penetrate any exposed skin that they hit, impossible to get them removed.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's a special puller tool for the purpose. I'm not a big fan of it because it pushes on the axle stub shaft. But using a couple sacrificial spindle nuts, a 3-jaw puller, and a hose clamp (to hold the jaws around the spindle nuts) should work too.

And heat the knuckle, not the spindle.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Dead blow rubber mallet worked for me like stated persistence is key. Cuss words help too as does threatening it with scrapping it as motivation to come off too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Dead blow rubber mallet worked for me like stated persistence is key. Cuss words help too as does threatening it with scrapping it as motivation to come off too.

Yep, threats work wonders too. My go-to always seems to be "Die you dumb sumbitch!!!"

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If the bearing is seized and galled onto the spindle and a torch is not available.
Use one big hammer under the bearing, a ten or twelve pound works nicely, and use another biggish hammer, like a three or four pounder and pound the piss out of the bearing, after the rollers and cage fall off, keep pounding, it will crack and shatter the bearing race, and it`ll then come off.
a word of WARNING ! ! ! crack and shatter! using this method, wear a heavyish coat or at least a pair of coveralls and protect Your face and eyes, when the pieces of that hard steel start flying off, they will penetrate any exposed skin that they hit, impossible to get them removed.
OH, I thought it was a axle/spindle bearing that was galled onto the spindle, please disregard this ppost.
At least now if someone does get a wheel bearing galled onto the spindle, they`ll know how to gettum offt. :happy175::happy175::happy175:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Always worked for me for any tough repair job lol

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Funny, but what they do on the TV shows is just tap the steering knuckle with a hammer, and the stud magically pulls loose.:rolleyes: Well, I've rarely seen that happen in the real world, and it ain't gonna happen if the ball joint has been installed for 30 years.

I sometimes have to smack the heck out of the stud with a 4 lb hammer, and use a long brass drift in tight situations. Of course, you need to leave the nut installed for safety, which will also give you some more surface area to hit.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
nobody uses pickle fork ??
Only pickle fork i ever used broke off at the fork end of the hangle and was stuck on the joint.... heat and big hammers work better.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
After three days of PB blaster, 2 chisels, about 6 broken 2x4s, and having fightin words with an inanimate object, the spindle knocked loose. Thanks for the moral support, yall:893karatesmiley-thu:banghead:

You must have yelled at it to die.

nobody uses pickle fork ??

It's 4x4 stuff, trying to get the spindle loose from the knuckle. Not the knuckle loose from the ball joint. Or am I the one missing something?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8