Strange shifting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brorunneraz

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hi all i recently bought an '87 R10 with the 4 speed on the floor. I can not for the life of me figure out what is going on when shifting. I can start fine and i can put the trans in any gear and get it to pull forward. However when im driving the damn thing grinds like crazy when i try to throw it into 2nd. Ive made sure to push the clutch all the way to the floor. Its almost as if the clutch isnt disengaging but if thats the case shouldnt it grind trying to put it into 1st,low or reverse? Ive tried putting it all of the gears and slowly letting out the clutch and it has no problem grabbing all of them when im stopped. just not while rolling

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hi all i recently bought an '87 R10 with the 4 speed on the floor. I can not for the life of me figure out what is going on when shifting. I can start fine and i can put the trans in any gear and get it to pull forward. However when im driving the damn thing grinds like crazy when i try to throw it into 2nd. Ive made sure to push the clutch all the way to the floor. Its almost as if the clutch isnt disengaging but if thats the case shouldnt it grind trying to put it into 1st,low or reverse? Ive tried putting it all of the gears and slowly letting out the clutch and it has no problem grabbing all of them when im stopped. just not while rolling

I wonder if it's a synchro failing. If I'm not mistaken the 'L' and '1' gears don't have them, and they can grind sometimes no matter what, but that's not the case here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDuke