Stock radio what speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have 2, 4 inch speakers for the front of my 84 K10, I found some cheap pioneer speakers, 6x9's, on ebay for the rear. I have the factory AM/FM cassette radio, if I hook these up to the stk wiring will they sound ok? I was told that aftermarket speakers couldn't be hooked in to the stk wiring but I don't have a clue why not.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm no sound expert, but I've hooked up a lot of aftermarket speakers to factory radios and wiring and was happy with the sound.

But I think it has something to do with the ohm rating of the speakers.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That's what I thought, it's been along time, but I've done it on various cars before. I'm not after a big thumper system.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It does sound alright at reasonable volumes, but you really can't get a ton of output out of it in terms of loudness. The loudness ceiling has to do with the fact that most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm resistance where the vehicle came with 8-10 ohm speakers. If you turn it up too much, the sound will be more distortion than music/talk. Also, in terms of sound quality, the internal amplification of the radio (in this case a Delco 2700) is poor by modern standards. I just did 4 new aftermarket speakers to a Delco 2000 ETR, which is pretty similar to a 2700, and I've got an amp and wiring kit to go with it to see if I can get more umph out of it. I'm sure you can amplify it properly and get good results, and you won't get bad results with just the speakers and the factory head unit, but I'd like to know if someone on here amped their stock radio with aftermarket speakers and what results they got.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1