Stock radio problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue87

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Hey guys,
I've got the original Delco am/fm tape radio in my 87' V10. It's a model # 16008160 according to the sticker on the side. I've got an issue where I'll hit a bump in the road, the radio cuts out, then I'll smack the underside of the dash and it sometimes comes back on. I've traced the problem down to the power/ volume knob which seems to be a bit loose. I can tap the shaft of the knob and the radio will crackle and sometimes come back on until I hit another bump. It's driving me nuts! Has anyone replaced these knobs before? I just opened up my radio and it looks like quite the process! My other option is getting it refurbished or just getting an aftermarket one that will fit in the original dash. (I'm not cutting it!)
Any recommendations on a stock replacement radio? Seems like all the aftermarket ones have horrible reviews.
Thanks!

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Dude just cut the dash and be done with it. I hummed and hawed on it for months, and finally did it last week. It's nice actually having decent tunes now. The Metra install kit is like $12 on Amazon, and its worth it.

You could spend $150 or more getting a CASSETTE radio refurbed and still have a CASSETTE radio that sounds like a turd. I found a decent used Sony Xplod head unit on ebay for about $40. Now I have CD, mp3 input etc. It sounds 1000x better than my stock radio, and my truck came with the top of the line Delco Digital radio they put in corvettes and caddys. The new Sony is STILL better that that thing ever was.

Unless your truck is an all original, numbers matching etc etc high dollar truck, just cut it and be done. The kit makes it easy, and you won't regret it.

BigBlue87

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
$150? Try about $365 plus shipping to restore a stock head set now. It is an all original 87, numbers matching V10 4x4 shortbed.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Have you been able to check that the harness is plugged in tight and that the ground is good, or are you positive it's the knob?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Below is a link that shows the process but he takes it apart. Just pull the knob off and hose the hole down with contact cleaner for a few seconds and rotate the knob back and forth 5-6 times. Do it a few times and it should clean up. Takes literally 30 seconds. Check the can for dry times before you apply power to the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZxNtxOoeWA

Lastly, if you've got it apart, you may have a bad/cold solder joint. If you see a bad/cold solder joint, put some flux on it, heat it up with a soldering iron and you'll see the solder flow and fix itself most of the time. If not you may need to add a LITTLE BIT of solder. Link below how to fix a bad solder joint. Prime example is when he says in the video "thats a classic cold solder joint", thats what your looking for. Soldering irons are cheap and will save you tons of money down the road. lol will also help clean up some of those wiring jobs you do on your vehicle instead of always splicing/crimping.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention about flux clean up. After your done soldering, clean off all the flux with alcohol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5_dBMuJMNY

for more info search for soldering and heat shrink tubing on youtube.

No offense intended if you know all this already.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666