Stock radio plug(s) ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Stock radio plug(s) ? GM 2700M

Hi.

I bought this beaut for a cool Jackson, originally for looks, but the guy said it worked?

Hmm....So....Huh. The longer I think about it, the more I like that idea.

I have looked a little and found nothing terribly useful - trying to source the plugs for the back.
I gather there are two. One for power / ground and the other I guess for speakers? In the bottom corner?

Any input regarding factory/repro plugs will be awesome.
Bueller?

Anybody know about it?

Has anyone seen Ferris?

I think this radio is likely from a car but it is SO GORGEOUS! OMG I LOVE IT!!!!,

PLEEeeeeASE work! If I get AM talk radio out of this deal I will die a happy man!

IT'S SO PRETTY!
F*cking chrome knobs man...this came from a newer sedan?
Errrybuddy wants DAT!
Bling bling! <3
I 'll look at it closer later, had to go to work.

Reckon I'll put this in the dash and stash my CD player in the console...or the glove box ;)
@chengny : hay brother, would you post up related wiring for a 1975 Blazer Cheyenne?
Please?

Who is the resident 40 year old stock radio guy?

Check it out now: http://r.ebay.com/K6AlPP
That's not what I want, but it's close? Do two of those make one? Like a Transformer plug? Lol, Megatron!

83 82 81 80 79 78 OLDS CUTLASS CALAIS SALON SUPREME 442 RADIO GM 2700-M

Attachments

• $_1 (2).JPG
    $_1 (2).JPG
    20 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20161013_210650.jpg
    IMG_20161013_210650.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20161013_210637.jpg
    IMG_20161013_210637.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Basically the black, white, and blue plugs all plug in together next to each other. They are keyed so they only go in one way. I believe one is for power, ground etc. One is for front speakers, and one is for rear speakers. Pretty simple. I just had to adapt them to the sony DIN stereo I just put in. If you have a Chilton or Haynes the books have the wiring diagrams.

Did your truck not come with a radio originally?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yep. It had one but all I bought was a hole. At least the shaft mounts were bent back and not hacked away!

Three different colored plugs? That's helpful. This is what I want? Hella cheap!
http://r.ebay.com/K6AlPP

I'll see what I can find in there! At a glance all I see is empty. No telling how long it's been since that truck had a radio. I saw that deal and fell in love...
What to do with it was an afterthought. I knew I had the hole......it'll look good! I need it to light up pretty bad...even if it won't make noise, it's camouflage.
Promise my truck WILL eventually make a LOT of noise! :rockit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701...13705&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47718621985&awdv=m

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yep. It had one but all I bought was a hole. At least the shaft mounts were bent back and not hacked away!

Three different colored plugs? That's helpful. This is what I want? Hella cheap!
http://r.ebay.com/K6AlPP

I'll see what I can find in there! At a glance all I see is empty. No telling how long it's been since that truck had a radio. I saw that deal and fell in love...
What to do with it was an afterthought. I knew I had the hole......it'll look good! I need it to light up pretty bad...even if it won't make noise, it's camouflage.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701...13705&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47718621985&awdv=m

That's the right harness, the eBay one. It's meant to work with an ETR radio, too, because it has four plugs, but you should only need three of them. It'll come with intructions if you find any stock wiring back there. I just bought one of those harnesses, and I'm getting there on figuring it out. The radio is backlit, and I think the Haynes manual might have a little write up on how to change it, not a hundred percent, though. I'll see if I can find pictures. Twenty bucks is a good deal. If it doesn't work, and you want it to, I have a radio service manual, and I can take pictures of what you need. I have two of the 2700's and two ETR's so I felt like I needed the manual to help me rebuild them if needed.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Hay man, cool. I'm good for another twelve bucks, reckon I'll pick one up!
Thanks for the reply, '87 was a good year.. :cheers:

I don't know what an ETR is and I appreciate the offer.
I DO KNOW that some of these deals are seriously expensive ($750), so I thought 20 bucks was a steal since it's so pretty!

I'm getttin pretty damned excited really, just wait until there is DAVID LEE ROTH on demand. haha! Were talking 40 below!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMwCzlEnl58

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hay man, cool. I'm good for another twelve bucks, reckon I'll pick one up!
Thanks for the reply, '87 was a good year.. :cheers:

I don't know what an ETR is and I appreciate the offer.
I DO KNOW that some of these deals are seriously expensive ($750), so I thought 20 bucks was a steal since it's so pretty!

I'm getttin pretty damned excited really, just wait until there is DAVID LEE ROTH on demand. haha! Were talking 40 below!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMwCzlEnl58

Haha, an ETR is an electronically tuned receiver. That's a crazy good deal, though. I got one like yours a month ago for sixty, and I thought I got a great deal (that's the only reason I bought it). I've seen the 2700's on eBay for money that I would never pay for them, especially when private sellers have them for dirt cheap, and I've seen them in junkyards just sitting there. I've been doing my wiring today in my Caprice, it's the same as on yours, and I've found that the color coding they suggest the factory harness should look like is not a hundred percent, and they didn't match their harness to what they said it was supposed to look like. It's coming along, though. I'll show you some pictures of what I've done in a bit, but here's the radio I've been working with. I've fixed the buttons, and it's supposed to work so fingers crossed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 156

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This is the 2700 that I picked up for $60. The guy met me well out of his way so I gave him an extra ten. The radio was advertised for fifty as a working unit that came out of an Elco.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 169

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Here's my wiring. I jerked out the jumbled mess that was used to power two different aftermarket HU's, and the stock harness was behind it all. Not all of it matched the diagram, but I did some tracing, some guessing, and some praying, and it all worked in the as of just a few minutes ago. Note that some of the wires match, some kind of do, and some don't at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 183

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Finally, here's the wiring diagram they sent me. It was a helpful map, but I didn't follow it a hundred percent because it didn't match fully. Maybe it'll be more in line with what you have. I'm sure they'll send you one, but just in case they don't... I don't know what your plans are, but I got four new speakers, and I have a light little amp and wiring kit that I was given so I'll tie that in there soon. Should sound pretty good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 221

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Omg that woodgrain! Whats a flashback!
Those knobs though...daaaaang!
Very. Neat.
I am really interested in your works and appreciative of your helps sir, please continue to post the progresses!

I'll buy that $12 harness thingy and let it show up. I should be able to BEGIN my project in a couple of weeks!
I like looked inside my dash today and found....four wires. Maybe an errant ONE other. It appears that my Blazer only had the one dash speaker. That's cool.
Plans include a duplication of a stock type system for listening to AM talk radio with. Camouflage.

Outside of that, I plan for an additional system I'll TRY to "conceal" consisting of 9 speakers,two amps,and a PIONEER DEH 80PRS - for listening to Slayer with. :headbang:

I have some actual background IN car audio and already have all of that stuff but first things first. There is a hole in the dash!

If that's a 4x10 hole, I'd like to see two, three inchers in it.
Nothing terribly fancy....two head units, maybe 13 speakers and about 650 watts.

Loud enough to hear down the block...that's all!

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I thought for sure @chengny would chime in by now, I've got the plugs. He must hate me :(
My plugs didn't have any cool destructions like yours @1987.

There are very few wires under my dash, won't be too tuff to figure.

I lucked out! It appears that the factory "brace" has remained. :party33:

Pritty appy bout thaq ones.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The harness plug sockets in the back identify that radio receiver as post 1977. That distinctive 3-gang, 4 pin style socket was initially introduced in 1978. The connectors supplied power/grd/backlighting to the receiver and provided inputs for the frt & rr speakers.

It remained as the standard connector style for the base stereo system until at least 1991 - that is the year my diagrams stop.

Original part numbers for the connectors are 12004543/44/45 - from right to left (as viewed from the back of the radio).

Connector 12004543 (far right, looking at back) used only 3 pins. These were for:

1. Main power supply (YEL lead - pin F, supplied by the RADIO/IDLE fuse in the fuse
block, only hot when the key is in either RUN or ACC)

2. Dial backlighting (GRAY lead - from pin M, supplied by the instrument lighting circuit,
voltage controlled by rotating the H/L switch knob)

3. Ground connection (BLK lead - from pin G, through the common splice point and
terminates at the ground bus block)
bus block)

Connector 12004544 (in the middle slot) power from pins A, B, C & D to the front, underdash speakers.

Connector 12004545 (far left slot) power from pins H, J, K & L to the rear B-pillar mounted speakers.

See the wiring diagram below for speaker bias and polarity wiring details:

You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe this is "too little too late but", I am almost positive I have a couple (maybe 3) of these OEM harnesses that are just laying around. IIRC they are perfect and I'll never use them. Rather they go to a good home than to the JY when I die. If you are interested in one, ping me - I'll let it go for the cost of a box of beer.

The only issue is the length of the wires that supply the rear speakers. I don't know anything about Blazers/Jimmys - specifically where the rear speakers mount. In a standard cab application, the rears are just behind the bench at the base of the B-pillars. There is a certain amount of excess wiring for each side but, depending on the location of your rears, you might need to spice an extension into the run leading to each speaker.

Oh and I am only sure about the speaker harnesses - I may have one with the power/grd/lighting connector and a pigtail, but I'm not positive.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The rear speakers are on the inner bedsides almost to the tailgate. I was just gonna note that this wiring diagram is very similar to my wiring diagram for dummies with the exceptions of the power antenna wire and the digital clock 12V wire.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I went diggin to in my dash and found six wires.....

That's all there is.

I sure do got a lot of stereo plug to only have three wires! Lol?
:bawl:
Naw, it's perfect. That's all that needs to be there.
Guess I really will have two systems. It'll be BAD.ASS.

It'll have to keep waiting but it's getting​ closer AND warmer!

Attachments

• 20170317_171357.jpg
    20170317_171357.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat