Still waiting for aftermarket 4 speed column shift conversion kit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
The supply of 1987 and earlier steering columns with the correct shifter setup for the 700R4 is *not infinite*. Those columns are now extremely difficult to find because the junkyards are getting rid of those older trucks, and any that come in with a factory 700R4, the steering column is one of the first items to be taken.

On my 1982 if I adjust the shifter so it locks properly into Park, none of the other positions line up with the shift gate. Reverse sits atop the bump between Park and Reverse and Drive is somewhere on the step for 2.

If it's adjusted so Drive is correctly locked in the gate, nothing else aligns and it's impossible to shift to Park. Same with if I adjust it so Reverse is right, still can't get to Park.

The tilt column I got was supposed to have come from a late 80's Suburban that had a 700R4. If it did, it had to have been a swap because the shifter in it it is definitely for a 3 speed. Can't take it back because I didn't get around to installing it until after the return period. :p

When is some aftermarket company going to get off its ass and realize there is a BIG MONEY MAKING OPPORTUNITY in reproducing the 700R4 column shifter parts? Consider the supply of original parts as *gone*. There's also money to be made in making a retrofit kit for the columns in trucks that never had a 700R4 option - as well as for other GM vehicles.

I assume the difference is the bit of metal the locking lever rests against to define the gear positions, and perhaps a bit wider opening in the tube where the arm sticks out so it can move farther to get to 1st. Replicate the 4 speed part(s) and include instructions with a template for cutting the tube.

How Ford did this for their AOD was to eliminate being able to shift to 1st. 1st position became 2nd. 2nd position became 3rd/Drive and D became 4th/Overdrive position. All they had to make different was the indicator.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I got an 89....

Latest posts