Stereo Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

76K20

Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I put a new stereo in my pickup, 76 K 20. Put in a Kenwood with all kinds of ******** blue tooth, CD, Sirius, ect. It worked fine for 3 or 4 months for some reason it all of a sudden it started to studder ( for lack of a better term) when the engine is running. I returned the stereo and got a new one same thing. I even ran the positive and negative directly to the battery same thing. I'm at a loss what would be causing this? When the engine isn't running it plays perfect. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Assuming it's not the buzzing noise associated with RFI - from the HVAC blower motor or non-resistor type spark plugs - and you have run independent power/ground leads, I'd say check the speaker wiring. Maybe there is a short or ground in that wiring which is aggravated by the vibration of the running engine.

Sorry, that's all I've got.

76K20

Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I've rewired, soldered, wired again and resoldered. I'm totally stumped. It works fine with the old 8 track stereo but not with this new one.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It doesn't just happen when the signal is from the tuner does it?

I'm assuming it happens no matter what the input (i.e. the radio, a CD, an Ipod input through the AUX jack, etc.) - correct?

And this occurs only when the engine is running. Does the stuttering seem to correspond to engine RPM?

76K20

Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yes only when engine is running and no RPM doesn't matter. Turn the engine off and it plays as it should.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes only when engine is running and no RPM doesn't matter. Turn the engine off and it plays as it should.

Its time to look at every single one of your grounds across the truck and ensure they are in 100% good shape.

What you are describing sounds like a really bad case of bad grounds somewhere or a really bad alternator.

76K20

Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Its time to look at every single one of your grounds across the truck and ensure they are in 100% good shape.

What you are describing sounds like a really bad case of bad grounds somewhere or a really bad alternator.

This happens with a ground wire, for the stereo, directly attached to the battery.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This happens with a ground wire, for the stereo, directly attached to the battery.

And the battery is grounded itself or SHOULD be to the truck in at least 2 places.

Like I said check your grounds and if they are good try another battery and if that still does the same thing then check the alternator.

76K20

Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I'll give it a try. At this point I'm open to anything. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads