Stepside fenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm kinda thinking out loud here (so to speak) so please bear with me. Does anyone know if the stepside fenders are symmetrical form front to rear? Say you wanted to change from sidesaddle tanks to a 31 gallon burb tank in the rear. Could you for instance, take a passenger side step fender with the fuel filler, and mount it on the drivers side so the filler is at the rear of the fender? The stepside trucks that I've run across in my life have been few and far between, and I never looked at the rear fenders closely to notice.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'm kinda thinking out loud here (so to speak) so please bear with me. Does anyone know if the stepside fenders are symmetrical form front to rear? Say you wanted to change from sidesaddle tanks to a 31 gallon burb tank in the rear. Could you for instance, take a passenger side step fender with the fuel filler, and mount it on the drivers side so the filler is at the rear of the fender? The stepside trucks that I've run across in my life have been few and far between, and I never looked at the rear fenders closely to notice.
You thinking 8' step? Even if they aren't it wouldn't be hard to fab....

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You thinking 8' step? Even if they aren't it wouldn't be hard to fab....

Yeah, started thinking about that as an option this morning. I wish I had access to the original print drawings. Found a store on Ebay selling the beds minus the fenders and floor. 14 and 16 gauge steel used in construction, and advertised as made in the USA. Just starting to flesh this idea out, I don't hold any hope of finding a clean original, so I'm looking at what's available to order parts to assemble a new one. All the photos that the online parts suppliers show always present the fender at a slight angle, so it's difficult to get a bead on their symmetry. I think there's still an old step at the yard that's down the road form me, might have to stop in and see if I can get an idea. I know that some of the step fenders have markers in them and I see pics of others that don't. I'd like to stay away from metal surgery of possible, but if push comes to shove, I can call the guy who did my roof swap.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Here's another idea that goes right along with your D30. Chop up a military trailer for a bed. Not sure of the military designation. That would be cool.
You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I've seen that done, even used to know the designation for them. Thought about it with the '87 even. Then I started looking at the pics of them done, and was less impressed. They fit close, but not quite right. they're a couple inches farther back form the cab, and look a touch narrow for the square body style too.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've seen that done, even used to know the designation for them. Thought about it with the '87 even. Then I started looking at the pics of them done, and was less impressed. They fit close, but not quite right. they're a couple inches farther back form the cab, and look a touch narrow for the square body style too.
Nothing a plasma cutter and welder can't fix lol because remember.........

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The fenders are shaped different front/rear. But I do think a long step would look great!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If you swapped side to side on an 8 footer would anyone really notice or would they be scratching their heads at the length and overlook them.....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I dunno. Where I'm from, long steps used to be fairly common.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've seen plenty on 50s and 60s truck can't say I've seen one on a square in person tho.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Most of the ones I would see were C10s. And usually 70's, not so many 80's.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If you swapped side to side on an 8 footer would anyone really notice or would they be scratching their heads at the length and overlook them.....

That is knida where I was at with it. If they are different, how different? If it would even be noticeable.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Well, the side marker lights are in my stepside fenders lol. IDK if the 8's is different

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Here's another idea that goes right along with your D30. Chop up a military trailer for a bed. Not sure of the military designation. That would be cool.

M101... Then there's A2 and A3, A3 is wider between the fenders.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Well, the side marker lights are in my stepside fenders lol. IDK if the 8's is different

Looking around online, it appears that some of the repop fenders don't have the blanks for the marker lights knocked out. That m101 just doesn't do it for me anymore. If I went that way, I'd go with the tricked out flatbed that's at the end of my build thread right now. What HK refers to as the "thunder road" option. I really like the flatbed. But it would mean pushing back paying off my house a while longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl