steering pulling to right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i just replaced a steering box myself to fix this problem,truck pull to the right so hard it was undriveable.new steering box fix it.went to factory manuals when diagnosing this problem,there is a valve in the box that out of spec that causes this, you adjust it by adjusting the collar that sit behind where the rag joint is.decide there probably other wear in box and i replace it instead.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
Would have to be a defective steering box if it does that. Power steering pump just supplies the pressure to valve in box.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
He reaches in thru the window and starts it. Tires start turning to the right. At that point he guesses the power steering pump itself. I have just lived with it so far. No tire wear at all...

Maybe lift up the front of yours and see if it is the same? And if it is, I don't know what to tell you. Get holy water.

Would have to be a defective steering box if it does that. Power steering pump just supplies the pressure to valve in box.

Had a bad pump cause this on my 74. Replaced the pump and the problem went away.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Had a bad pump cause this on my 74. Replaced the pump and the problem went away.

Really? Huh- I was thinking it wouldn't help. I'll add it to my list of things to replace on it. The pump has been leaking lately also- so it is time. Thanks.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
Just curious how can it be a bad pump? All the control for direction is in steering box? Mine has hydro boost also and it works fine.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You really should address the worn out suspension first. I understand (it drives like new)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
My truck has been pulling to the right for a couple of years now. After reading this thread, I decided to go by a new steering pump just for the hell of it. I removed the old pump, installed the new one, took it out for a spin, and "I AM SHOCKED"! no more pulling to the right. Fuggin' unbelievable!

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The pump over pressures the box and causes the wheels to turn right. Mine was so bad that it would be sitting in the driveway running and all of a sudden turn the wheels right to full lock. I assume the pressure relief valve was sticking.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
hummmm looking through repair log tho it had a new pump put on last winter. guess it's still possible. Kingpin dana 60 front. other than spring bushings and the kingpins on knuckles what else is there to front suspention?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
The pump over pressures the box and causes the wheels to turn right. Mine was so bad that it would be sitting in the driveway running and all of a sudden turn the wheels right to full lock. I assume the pressure relief valve was sticking.

Old post, but great info !:waytogo:

I am going try changing the fluid out on mine - I have that right hand pull mainly on the highway , and sometimes it seems like it goes away after a turn.

For the 10 or less bucks to change it- worth a shot.

Britt

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Truck used to have a low idle when plugs would foul out. With the new tires (35's) and a low idle, my pump didnt seem to have enough power to turn at a stop idling in park. You could feel the rpms and chugging through the steering wheel. Makes ya wonder if that means my pump is starting to go out or if its the box or just because of the larger tires and low idle?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Truck used to have a low idle when plugs would foul out. With the new tires (35's) and a low idle, my pump didnt seem to have enough power to turn at a stop idling in park. You could feel the rpms and chugging through the steering wheel. Makes ya wonder if that means my pump is starting to go out or if its the box or just because of the larger tires and low idle?

I don't know if this is even a possibility- my 383 idles at 650 only. This caused me alternator grief at idle at night, in the rain, with the heater on (lights, wipers, fan). I bought a different type of alternator but also a smaller pulley. This fixed it right up.

Can a smaller pulley be bought for the power steering unit?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I don't know if this is even a possibility- my 383 idles at 650 only. This caused me alternator grief at idle at night, in the rain, with the heater on (lights, wipers, fan). I bought a different type of alternator but also a smaller pulley. This fixed it right up.

Can a smaller pulley be bought for the power steering unit?
No idea if one can or not. I would believe so.

I went with a 150amp powermaster alternator when mine died last year.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

That's weird. A smaller pulley would cause fewer rotations at lower RPM's.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
That's weird. A smaller pulley would cause fewer rotations at lower RPM's.

smaller=faster.

Do you mountain bike at all? Lets say your legs are pedaling at the same speed- Having your chain on the small sprocket at the back tire you go much faster than when the chain is on the largest sprocket. (alternator would be the back tire)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tetz73