Steering problems need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjd50317

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
bought agr pump from summit return line looked a little crimped out of box, changed return line will drive tomorrow see if it helped.

tjd50317

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
seems to be working but only time will tell.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hopefully this fixed it. Did you try shopping for a Delco pump?

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

tjd50317

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
did not fix problem, does anyone make a quality gear box? where is a good place to get parts? Thanks Tom

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have an 83 k2500 that the steering seems to bind or lock up. When driving down the road it will pull a little the left and bind and then release pulling the ftruck to the right. New pump, box, stabillizer, wheel bearings and shocks. It has been at he garage and they are puzzled. They have check out the front end and cant find anything wrong. Any ideas? I need help. I am new to the forum and really need to get fixed. Thanks Tom

had garage change calipers, problem did not start until pump went bad changed pump twice( oriellys pump) then pressure hose, and had garage change gear box. was doing same thing with old box and new box. thinking about putting better pump on?

Has anyone been screwing around with the steering box adjustment screw? If they have, they don't know wtf they are doing, garage mechs or otherwise. If not, continue reading. The problem described in your first post sounds like a failing pump or overtightened steering box, or contaminants in the fluid like water, mud or dirt affecting the steering box. I would take loose the steering column at the rag joint and verify it doesn't have anything to do with the column first, which I highly doubt it does. Then I would hook the column back up, take loose the drag link at the pitman arm and with the truck off (not running) steer the wheel back and forth. Might have to have someone with their ear close to the box, they should be able to tell if a binding sound or gritty noise is coming from it. If no sounds are coming from it, hook up the drag link and start it up and steer it quickly lock to lock. If the steering seems like it is getting tough in the last 1/2 turn or so in one direction or the other and/or the pump is making a squealing, grinding or growling noise either there is still air in the system or you got a bad pump. Air in the system takes a while to work out when the whole system is new and dry. Short steering back & forth and full steering lock to lock repeatedly will get it out, checking the fluid for froth which would indicate air being purged. Make sure you keep the fluid in the "FULL HOT" area on the stick.

dirtroadoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
What he said^^^^^ Also, make sure that the fluid ain't foamy when you check it. Sounds like air in the system to me.

tjd50317

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
put a new psc box on it, drove a little tonight did not have a problem. it does not do it all the time so will have to drive it and see what happens. Thanks Tom

tjd50317

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
thought it was air at first, because it started after pump was changed and went a away for a couple months and then started again. i also had frame brace put on to keep frame cracking.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So ya fixed up then Tom?