Steering Issue - need help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HuskerFan

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
454 Big Block
Hey guys, so first post here, looking for help. I have a 76 K20 scottsdale with a 9" lift and 44" super swampers. Truck has stock steering box, stock draglink, but has a drop steering arm. Basically, when i picked up the truck, i swapped out the 44's for some 33's so that i could load it on the trailer i had. Test drove just fine when i tested it with the 44's on, but then got it home(with the 33's on), and went to pull it into the driveway and it didn't want to go in the direction i was steering it. When it's sitting in the driveway, i can turn the steering wheel, and the tires will turn, but there's a popping noise coming from underneath by the steering. But when i jack up the front end, the wheels turn just fine with no popping noise. I couldnt pin-point where the popping was coming from, so pulled off and opened up the steering box, and it all looked good in there, no missing teeth or nothing. Pulled off the pitman arm, and it looked fine as well. Draglink looked fine as well-not worn out. I attached a few pictures of the teeth on the pitman arm and of the steering box, and also a video of the popping noise. I just cannot figure out what is wrong. Only thing i can think of is that the teeth on the pitman arm look a little worn on the tips, so maybe the output shaft of the steering box was skipping over them when im driving it because theres pressure from the truck going straight and then me trying to turn the wheels? Any input you guys have is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• Pitman 1.jpg
    Pitman 1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Pitman 2.jpg
    Pitman 2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Steering Box Input Shaft.jpg
    Steering Box Input Shaft.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Steering Box Output Shaft 1.jpg
    Steering Box Output Shaft 1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 141
  • Steering Box Output Shaft 2.jpg
    Steering Box Output Shaft 2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 146

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Are you having trouble with the video?

HuskerFan

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
454 Big Block
No, i posted a youtube link for it. Works for me at least! Working for you?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Worked for me..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Okay, you posted the video after. I had just missed it for commenting so early. It's hard for me to see. It looks like your steering linkage is binding because you get a good amount of output from the Saginaw box, but it doesn't seem to do much. At least that's what I think I saw. I must have watched it twenty times. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

HuskerFan

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
454 Big Block
Yeah, that was another issue i was throwing around. I know those old steering boxes are supposed to be pretty tough. I was gonna get a drop draglink and maybe a new drop pitman arm as well. Just gonna be pretty pissed if i replace those and then still have the issue -__-

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You could always drop the pitman arm and see what the Saginaw box does without all the linkage hooked up. If you do that, just make sure that when you hook it back up, your steering is back where it was and not favoring a the left or right.

HuskerFan

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
454 Big Block
Well, it's currently sitting on the work bench. I took it out and the input shaft turned just fine by hand, all the way to the left and all the way to the right. I spose it could be different when its hooked up to the steering column, cause i didn't try that, but it sure sounded like the popping noise was one of being under a lot of pressure/strain?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
From the sound of it, I would think its the pitman arm skipping teeth, they look pretty worn down too. With 9" of lift, I would look into getting a dropped pitman to go along with the raised steering arm. Your steering box is putting out the force, but the angle of the drag link isn't helping it with the leverage.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
On the video, If you look closely at the shaft where the pitman arm clamps onto it, you can see it slipping, or maybe I'm seeing things.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
On the video, If you look closely at the shaft where the pitman arm clamps onto it, you can see it slipping, or maybe I'm seeing things.

I zoomed way in and didn't see that. I think it would be a good idea to use a stethoscope or screwdriver to the ear and touch it on various components and find where the noise is loudest.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

I saw it also Val before I read your post. Watch the white spec (top one) during the video. May not be where the sound is coming from, but I think it's slipping a few degrees.

Attachments

• steering popping.jpg
    steering popping.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 144

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I saw it also Val before I read your post. Watch the white spec (top one) during the video. May not be where the sound is coming from, but I think it's slipping a few degrees.

That's exactly what I was watching, the specs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC