Steering Column Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It should be same as post 85 trucks with column mounted wiper switch but no delay module. Just a bit different way to search.
If you still have not found it in few days, I will try to look through old wiring harness.

I'd appreciate that. I assume that side of the module goes to the wiper motor? I spoke to Painless today and they indicated unless I find it from a truck, I won't be getting one and then went on to tell me they never work anyway. Is it worth it or just get the wiper switch with no delay?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I'd appreciate that. I assume that side of the module goes to the wiper motor? I spoke to Painless today and they indicated unless I find it from a truck, I won't be getting one and then went on to tell me they never work anyway. Is it worth it or just get the wiper switch with no delay?

Across 4 or 5 squate body trucks that I delt with, I have yet to find one with non working delay wiper set up. A friend of mine still has the harness from a 90 suburban that has the connector. Also have one on 85 jimmy. PM me if you want to try and get it.(It would take couple of days before I could actually get the part in my hand). Or just keep the old set up if it worked ok.

Wes

Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What would be involved to put an 84+ column in an 83?

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Across 4 or 5 squate body trucks that I delt with, I have yet to find one with non working delay wiper set up. A friend of mine still has the harness from a 90 suburban that has the connector. Also have one on 85 jimmy. PM me if you want to try and get it.(It would take couple of days before I could actually get the part in my hand). Or just keep the old set up if it worked ok.

That'd be great. As for keeping the old setup; I do NOT want the wiper controls on the dash. I'm ok with nixing the idea of having the delays but I want the wiper controls on the column but either way, I need to find the right harness for it. PM sent

Installing it is simple. Wiring the stuff up that you don't already have is becoming the pain.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

In 84 the dimmer switch, wiper and wiper washer moved to the Multifunction swtich aka Turn Signal stalk.

Wes

Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In 84 the dimmer switch, wiper and wiper washer moved to the Multifunction swtich aka Turn Signal stalk.

And that's what I want. going to convert mine to this setup.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And that's what I want. going to convert mine to this setup.

That's what I'm doing and can't find the harness I need. lol

Maybe when one of you two get this done or find the harnesses you need to do it, start a Multifunction Switch Conversion thread with some pic details. :shrug:

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Maybe when one of you two get this done or find the harnesses you need to do it, start a Multifunction Switch Conversion thread with some pic details. :shrug:

Absolutely!

Wes

Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm surprised its so difficult. I haven't torn into mine yet but should in the next few weeks.

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm surprised its so difficult. I haven't torn into mine yet but should in the next few weeks.

The harness for the wipers is very elusive. Apparently can't be bought anywhere.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You must be registered for see images attach

The only realistic way to do this is to get your hands on a late model column (84+) - one that already has a MFS installed. When you cut the wiper wiring harness, do it a few inches away from the plug - this is necessary because you're going to be spicing your cab harness onto it. The other harness plug (for turn signals, horn, ignition switch, flashers, etc) can be pulled apart normally - the connectors are the same from 83 -84 - so when reassembling you can simply plug your cab harness into the new column harness.

Install the new column, cut the wiper connector off your cab harness and splice as shown below. Disregard the gray 8F lead. That is for back lighting which doesn't exist in a MFS stalk.

All that is really involved is switching the PPL & BLK.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I can't imagine jamming a MFS into a column that wasn't designed to accept one.

The only realistic way to do this is to get your hands on a late model column (84+) - one that already has a MFS installed. When you cut the wiper wiring harness, do it a few inches away from the plug - this is necessary because you're going to be spicing your cab harness onto it. The other harness plug (for turn signals, horn, ignition switch, flashers, etc) can be pulled apart normally - the connectors are the same from 83 -84 - so when reassembling you can simply plug your cab harness into the new column harness.

Install the new column, cut the wiper connector off your cab harness and splice as shown below. Disregard the gray 8F lead. That is for back lighting which doesn't exist in a MFS stalk.

I believe they have. That's the problem. They have 83 or older trucks and have acquired columns that are 84 or later with the MFS so they are converting to the MFS column. :waytogo:

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I can't imagine jamming a MFS into a column that wasn't designed to accept one.

1. The steering column I'm using is from an '87 with MFS.

2. The harness is a brand new Painless harness that doesn't have the connector.

3. My original harness in the truck has the wiper switch on the dash therefore I don't have the connector needed to plug into the module, thus my inquiry in the first place.

4. Thanks for the schematic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell