Steering Column Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So my original truck is a 1985 K10. No tilt, no cruise, wiper controls on the dash. I have a column from an '87 which has tilt, cruise and the wipers on the column. There's a couple things I'm not sure of but have an idea and looking for help.

This little black wire comes from the column. I believe it goes to the wiper/cruise control switch and I believe it's for the cruise control which I will not be using. Can anyone confirm?

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, I found this wiper delay module. Seems simple. I'm using a brand new 27 circuit 73-87 Painless wire harness. Where can I find the connector that goes on the other side of this module and where does that connect to? I didn't see anything in my kit nor was I successful at my google search. Thanks in advance.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
That is positively from the cruise switch.

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Any suggestions on the other connector for the wiper delay module?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
85 Shouldn't have had the wipers on the dash. 84 and later have the Multifunction Switch with the Wipers, Cruise if equipped, dimmer switch and wiper washer all on the turn signal switch. No dimmer switch on the floor and no wiper switch on the dash.

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
85 Shouldn't have had the wipers on the dash. 84 and later have the Multifunction Switch with the Wipers, Cruise if equipped, dimmer switch and wiper washer all on the turn signal switch. No dimmer switch on the floor and no wiper switch on the dash.

My truck is an '85 and the wiper switch was on the dash and I had a floor dimmer switch. It had the harness for it as well. I just pulled the steering column off last week and it doesn't have a wiper switch on the column nor does it have the module. I haven't dug too deep into the factory harness to see if the connector I need is even there, but either way, if it isn't then I need to find it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd be guessing to say your truck most likely had a cab swap then with an 83 or older cab. Where is your dimmer switch and does it work and where is it wired?

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd be guessing to say your truck most likely had a cab swap then with an 83 or older cab. Where is your dimmer switch and does it work and where is it wired?

It was on the floor and it did work when it was there. Either way, hoping to find this connector. Hoping it's on the original harness and I can swap that into the new one. Can't seem to find one online.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So my original truck is a 1985 K10. No tilt, no cruise, wiper controls on the dash. I have a column from an '87 which has tilt, cruise and the wipers on the column. There's a couple things I'm not sure of but have an idea and looking for help.

This little black wire comes from the column. I believe it goes to the wiper/cruise control switch and I believe it's for the cruise control which I will not be using. Can anyone confirm?

Also, I found this wiper delay module. Seems simple. I'm using a brand new 27 circuit 73-87 Painless wire harness. Where can I find the connector that goes on the other side of this module and where does that connect to? I didn't see anything in my kit nor was I successful at my google search. Thanks in advance.

You are correct on these parts and the cruise wire.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It was on the floor and it did work when it was there. Either way, hoping to find this connector. Hoping it's on the original harness and I can swap that into the new one. Can't seem to find one online.

So if it's really an 85 truck, then at least the harness, probably the whole cab has been swapped with an 83 or earlier.

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So if it's really an 85 truck, then at least the harness, probably the whole cab has been swapped with an 83 or earlier.

Assuming that's the case, where can I find the "truck" side connector for the wiper delay module?? I can't find them online. I haven't called painless yet but I will later today.

Also, the side of the connector that's not hooked up (the side I'm looking for), I presume that gets hooked up to the washer motor or tied into the fuse block?

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is what was in mine but like I said, I'm trying to do away with it. I just can't find the female connector for the module.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I might have the connector, but would be up to a week before i can look for it. That connector is not delay wiper specific. Non delay wiper trucks should have the same connector on the underdash harness for the wipers.

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I might have the connector, but would be up to a week before i can look for it. That connector is not delay wiper specific. Non delay wiper trucks should have the same connector on the underdash harness for the wipers.

I looked and couldn't find it. The connector I have attached to my wiper switch will not fit the wiper delay module. It's not even close to being the correct one.

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My current wiper switch on the left and you can see its connection vice the module on the right and the plug needed for that.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
My current wiper switch on the left and you can see its connection vice the module on the right and the plug needed for that.

It should be same as post 85 trucks with column mounted wiper switch but no delay module. Just a bit different way to search.
If you still have not found it in few days, I will try to look through old wiring harness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl