STEERING COLUMN QUESTION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingBee

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 1979 C10. It is missing the cover that is below the ignition lock. The cylinder shroud that covers the shift linkage. I plan to rebuild the column and replace the ignition lock and repair any signal or horn issues.

Does anyone know what year models that I can pick from to get a replacement cover?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

KingBee

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I believe GM referred to the part as the "jacket"

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Morning ! I want to say 73 - 80 are the same. At some point they changed from a screw style shift indicator cable with a slot in the plastic to a clip on style, with the clip on being the newer style. ( IIRC )

I used to fix these things years ago, but that was long time ago, and yours appears to be a non-tilt which I did not see as many of.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It’s called a lever housing. Mine did the exact same, but LMC sells a pretty nice and well fitting 84-91 AT w/auto housing so I was able to go that route. I wasn’t able to find them anywhere else, and even though older GM columns are fundamentally the same, I’m not sure the one I got would fit yours.

KingBee

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It’s called a lever housing. Mine did the exact same, but LMC sells a pretty nice and well fitting 84-91 AT w/auto housing so I was able to go that route. I wasn’t able to find them anywhere else, and even though older GM columns are fundamentally the same, I’m not sure the one I got would fit yours.
I believe the part I am looking for sits below the leaver housing.

The manual reads, 12. JACKET, Strg Col .................................. 6.518

The manual is for 1979-1982 but was wondering if that particular part was the same on additional years.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I thought the same at first, but the plastic that hides the core of the column and the various linkages is attached to the metal piece that the shifter is attached to. It's all one thing. At least that's how it is on the 84-91, and the lever housing is how LMC calls it. It wouldn't surprise me if the manufacturer nomenclature is different. That's interesting, though, that your manual is referring to the plastic part as its own thing if I'm understanding correctly. I'll attach a picture of mine before I replaced the lever housing. Let me also tag in some help. @chengny

KingBee

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I thought the same at first, but the plastic that hides the core of the column and the various linkages is attached to the metal piece that the shifter is attached to. It's all one thing. At least that's how it is on the 84-91, and the lever housing is how LMC calls it. It wouldn't surprise me if the manufacturer nomenclature is different. That's interesting, though, that your manual is referring to the plastic part as its own thing if I'm understanding correctly. I'll attach a picture of mine before I replaced the lever housing. Let me also tag in some help. @chengny

Sounds about right. I think you are correct only with the 84-91. I ordered the lever housing from LMC (for my 1979). It is suppose to be in by 8pm tomorrow. I am going to try and tear the whole column apart this week and replace the broke/missing parts and get it all cleaned up.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
'73 to '80 will fit like a charm. The steering column ****-ring is a PITA to find and even more of a PITA to install.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Sounds about right. I think you are correct only with the 84-91. I ordered the lever housing from LMC (for my 1979). It is suppose to be in by 8pm tomorrow. I am going to try and tear the whole column apart this week and replace the broke/missing parts and get it all cleaned up.
Resurrecting an old thread because I’m looking for this same part. How did this work out for you?

I found the part number for tilt models (7836010, called a “shroud”), but can’t find the part number for non-tilt. If anyone can help with that part number that would be great, too.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Gotta love the internet. So, I found a part that may work, in large part thanks to @hatzie and his scans on the 73-87chevytrucks.com forums and gmwiki. Here is the part number I found: 7827077.

I couldn't find that part anywhere, so I found a non-tilt shroud for 84-94 GM non-tilt columns, part #7830073. These seem to be readily available and have the "teeth" that the non-tilt shrouds don't. My problem is that two of the four teeth have broken off, and it won't stay in place, with the gear indicator always sliding back to park (or further). The only difference I can tell is that there is not a slot for the gear indicator wire to connect to, but I think that will be easy enough to fix.

I could be completely wrong. I am sure there is a reason it is not listed as working for the year I am looking for (1979), but hopefully I can make it work. I will report back once I get the part in hand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike