Steering column question? Again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TnSnapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yep still drive. And the turn signal and wipers work

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Because I’m in sort of a good mood lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
This is the last column I got......
The turn signal stalk isn’t broken @fmxr47 grabbed it when he was here lol it’s a non cruise column

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Mostly it is a preference. Auto column will have a visible stub where shifted was.

Yeah, but if the price is right, I'd get it anyway. Sure, the bowl will have that bump. But with the gearshift lever removed, it should be possible to index the bowl so that the bump is on the bottom. Out of sight out of mind.

Hey Mark, how much you asking for the old one? If you're sellin' let me know - I got cash!

TnSnapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Ok I have found a really nice column that is tilt, but has delay wipers and cruise. My current column has no cruise, no delay wipers but column mounted. Does anyone have experience with this. Just wanting something to plug and go right now as my work scedule won't allow to be in the garage for more than an evening.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ok I have found a really nice column that is tilt, but has delay wipers and cruise. My current column has no cruise, no delay wipers but column mounted. Does anyone have experience with this. Just wanting something to plug and go right now as my work scedule won't allow to be in the garage for more than an evening.

Yeah, get it. You can do a column change in under 3 hours.

1. Depending on where the new column ends (pot or rag joint), release that coupling. Two bolts on the rag joint:

Or one through bolt at the collapsible (pot) joint. Also while you are right there, pull the two bolts for the column firewall bracket clamp:

Inside the cab, remove the lower column cover and dash access plates. You'll see this. Release the column support bracket nuts:

Lower the column until the steering wheel rests on the front seat. In this position it is easy to disconnect the various wiring harness plugs. There should be just two a big double one (for directionals, horn, ignition switch, high beam switch, etc.) and another for the wipers. There is no need to remove the harness support bracket - as shown below - when swapping out a complete column:

If your firewall insulation pad is in good shape, carefully cut a section out to gain access to the column dash seal plate bolting. Release the 5 bolts:

That's it. Draw the complete column assembly into the cab and install your new one in reverse order. You know, as I think about the time required to do this job, when I said 3 hours - I may have overestimated. It's probably more like two.

A bonus: If the new column is set up for delayed wipers, just plug the pulse module in between the plugs shown below. If the switch and module on the new column are good, that's the only difference - you will now have intermittent wipers.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The module is configured to drop right into a non-intermittent harness:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The module is configured to drop right into a non-intermittent harness:

Cruise would be more expensive and technically demanding to add than pulse wipers, I guess. If it were me, I’d go for it, but to streamline it and maintain the status quo, you could easily install a no-cruise, pulse wiper signal stalk. That would be my second route.

TnSnapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thanks guys. It's always good to get good advice with nice pics to boot. Installed new ( actually old but new to me) this evening my son is happy and learned a little too so I will pat myself on the back. We put the man in black cd in and he plugged his phone into it and we sat in the cab of that old truck and connected on a different level than we ever have. Buying this old Chevrolet has been worth every penny if I sell it tomorrow. Enjoy the heck out of this forum, and he is also. So for that I take my hat and work boots off and thank each one of you. :cheers:

Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Grind off the nub, put some soft foam in the hole and fill with JB weld. Sand smooth and paint

bob68507

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just pulled one from a truck I purchased to steal column, cluster, and the 4 headlight system to put in mine.
Thanks for all the pics. Made it easy..