SRW or Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Both crew cabs I prefer the look of a SRW but they are hard to find for a reasonable price with the options I want, I found what looks to be a reasonable original dually optioned as desired for a price I consider fair. What are deciding factors for choosing dually over SRW?

Pro's
more stable with alot of weight
some like the fat ass look

Cons
50% more expense on tires
harder to park

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
what is the truck's use? towing/cruising. if you are towing heavy trailers dually is better. Cruising srw is better on gas.
are you looking to customize it? duallys have fewer options then srw trucks do for rims lifts etc.
Just look at how you are going to use it in life parking in a dually is harder. the dually suspension is heavy duty form the trucks i have ridden in compared to their counterpart.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
towing a trailer with my vette on it would be the most common use.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
towing a trailer with my vette on it would be the most common use.
so nothing too heavy, f@ck it get the dually if it has the options you want and is a good price as long as you can live with pretty bad gas mileage.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm a dually owner. It's no harder to park than any other crew cab with a long bed. It rides the same too, and mpg is also similar.

My only gripe is small trailers, they are harder to see behind you.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
My thought was the parking spaces are getting smaller it seems and my srw half ton fills the spots pretty well, the DRW will completely fill it if not go over and then I risk running over someones pos...on a side not anyone know whos fault it is if the other driver parked over the line?

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
it's a learning curve the more you drive the easier it will be to park when my work does traveling jobs sometimes I get to drive the work truck (2005 Chevy 3500 fat ass) and I could not park it for the life of me. now that I have driven it a few times I am always within the lines or at least on the edge of the lines. The nice thing for me is my boss is sleeping in the passenger seat and he is supposed to be driving so if I hit someone he gets blamed. lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My normal practice is parking in spots away from other vehicles, no matter what I'm driving. But on the rare occasion I have to park somewhere crowded, I just shove my truck wherever it fits. If someone has truoble getting in their door, that's their problem. If a restaurant puts their shrubs too close to the end parking spot, I'll sacrifice that shrub if it means everyone can get in their doors easier.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My normal practice is parking in spots away from other vehicles, no matter what I'm driving. But on the rare occasion I have to park somewhere crowded, I just shove my truck wherever it fits. If someone has truoble getting in their door, that's their problem. If a restaurant puts their shrubs too close to the end parking spot, I'll sacrifice that shrub if it means everyone can get in their doors easier.
yeah f@uck the bushes lo.l I would do the same. their fault for putting shrubbery their.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I don’t think a dually is much harder to park than anything else even in tight spaces. You can definitely get it in there straighter since you can see the lines as opposed to something low. It maybe closer to the other vehicles, but it’s not that bad. If it’s just you, and you don’t mind, you could always park next to a curb, a cart stall, or away from everything so you only have to worry about no more than one side.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Duallys are a liability in the bush and mud. You can get chunks of branch (2, 3, 4") and rocks jammed between the tires resulting in... grief.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Duallys are a liability in the bush and mud. You can get chunks of branch (2, 3, 4") and rocks jammed between the tires resulting in... grief.

its a 2wd big block 4 speed truck, if its off the pavement there are other issues.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I've had both, an '80 and an '87. I agree with the smaller stalls, it would be had to park a dually. The drive-thru is also not an option. I liked the stability of the dually, but you could probably add a sway bar to a SRW if you wanted.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is this a 2wd drive truck or 4wd truck? I'd prefer a 4x4 in SRW due to more tire size options and the hips of a dually going through trails tend to get in the way of narrow trails, and you're already dealing with mega length as it is, but for a 2wd, I'd prefer the dually. You get used to them hips pretty damn quick. Here's one I owned for awhile that I bought brand new in 96.
You must be registered for see images attach

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Is this a 2wd drive truck or 4wd truck? I'd prefer a 4x4 in SRW due to more tire size options and the hips of a dually going through trails tend to get in the way of narrow trails, and you're already dealing with mega length as it is, but for a 2wd, I'd prefer the dually. You get used to them hips pretty damn quick. Here's one I owned for awhile that I bought brand new in 96.
You must be registered for see images attach

2wd

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat