Square body rear sway bar... $20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Twenty bucks ? :boxed:

Okay.
Twist my arm first though.

Pictured are the original ad and what it looks like sitting on the floor in my house.:hands:

You must be registered for see images attach

It was listed for EIGHT DAYS and used to cost $30.
Scaahhwwiinngg!

I guess that's right,somebody told me it is.. i've never seen one before!

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Cool find. I think they were only factory installed on C30 trucks. There were aftermarket variations too.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So it should go right on the blue truck or with mods the Blazer I guess

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I bought it with the blue truck in mind. The Blazer has a 12bolt..reckon it's for 14bolt trucks? It is rather heavy and I wonder WHY these were/are not more commonplace.
When I took the rear bar off of my SS to paint it, I couldn't hardly keep the car in one lane ! It seemed to me (at that time) that the rear bar was vital and plays a criticial role in suspension function.
Granted I took the FRONT bar off to separate the sides to aide in weight transfer, which is an equally vital part of DRAG RACING :imo:
Everybody has seen drag racing pics with the driver tire way in the air, but I have very little clue how that works on the rear.
Seems to me that not having any weight over the axle and having TERRIBLE weight distribution , especially with an empty bed , that the function of one would be that much more critical.
I get why 4x4s have the "disconnect kits" in the front and I guess that stands for the rear also....but why not in a truck?
I was thinking about driving the SS without one and comparing that to the truck I just put a Corvette engine into.. $20.. What the hell? Only one way to find out!
It'll find somewhere to go but it is really heavy! The C20 is NOT intended to be a work truck and haul big stuff around and move heavy loads ...

I see some google searching on the subject in my future.
We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That’s why I did the Blazer fuel tank I pretty much built a drag truck for mud lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I bought it with the blue truck in mind. It is rather heavy and I wonder WHY these were/are not more commonplace.
When I took the rear bar off of my SS to paint it, I couldn't hardly keep the car in one lane ! It seemed to me (at that time) that the rear bar was vital and plays a criticial role in suspension function.
Granted I took the FRONT bar off to separate the sides to aide in weight transfer, which is an equally vital part of DRAG RACING :imo:
Everybody has seen drag racing pics, but I have very little clue how that works on the rear.
Seems to me that not having any weight over the axle and having TERRIBLE weight distribution , even with an empty bed , that the function of one would be that much more critical.
I get why 4x4s have the "disconnect kits" in the front and I guess that stands for the rear also....but why not in a truck?
I was thinking about driving the SS without one and comparing that to the truck I just put a Corvette engine into.. $20.. What the hell? Only one way to find out!
It'll find somewhere to go but it is really heavy! The C20 is NOT intended to be a work truck and haul big stuff around and move heavy loads ...

I see some google searching on the subject in my future.
We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

It's all in the application and usage. Trucks with leaf springs tend not to notice the absence of a sway bar at either end, until you are trying to haul a load on a twisty road at higher speeds.

But a car with coil springs at both ends, that's a different story. You want a wild ride, pull both bars off your Monte and disable 3 of the brakes, then try to drive at interstate speeds. It's an experience you'll never forget.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It's all in the application and usage. Trucks with leaf springs tend not to notice the absence of a sway bar at either end, until you are trying to haul a load on a twisty road at higher speeds.

But a car with coil springs at both ends, that's a different story. You want a wild ride, pull both bars off your Monte and disable 3 of the brakes, then try to drive at interstate speeds. It's an experience you'll never forget.
And add bias ply tires to the mix for an even more adventurous drive. Lol

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm no suspension engineer, but my experience has been that front bars make for more responsive steering, and rear bars make for flatter and faster cornering.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I'm no suspension engineer, but my experience has been that front bars make for more responsive steering, and rear bars make for flatter and faster cornering.

Yes.

Suprisingly or not, I found good info regarding on THIS SITE, four years old.
Google searching led me here haha.

It''s "coincidence" that I have very recently began taking action to correct the C20s front bar...really, it was.
There is previous collision damage to the mounts up front and it has been disconnected yet is present.

I can't make the good deals show up on CL...I don't believe in coincidence.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/factory-rear-swaybar-pics.11664/

Looks cool. This is all gonna work out and i'll soon have front and rear factory bars in my C20. :cool:

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The 83 GMC K15 I had a while back had a rear swaybar, sold it to @Mr Clean but it was made different. That one definitely looks heavier duty.

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I've only seen these on 1 ton duallys with the Camper Special package. They are designed for the square shackle set up like on my K30. It won't work with standard u-bolts as the bar mounts under the axle unless you make custom mounts or purchase some brackets similar to photo 2.

You must be registered for see images

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Any thing is possible

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Oy vey!
I finally laid down to have a look today and I think ol Craigy-boy is right.
</3
My four holed thingy is on top of the axle...sad.face. :(

Shock absorber is in.the.way!

See attached photo x1.

Lookit how easy to find. One google search, $35. But my **** iz all straight..i need to see one factory installed.

Meh. Shopping for crankshafts is WAY more funner than that.:confused:

I only need those factory parts, wtfe they are called, to swap out on my truck, right?

Easy enough.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8