Spring spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I've currently got a 78 c10 2wd sitting stock height on 31s. I rebuilt the front suspention with autozone stuff, all oem, nothing fancy at all, went with a buddy and off roaded it the other day and got hooked. I'm looking to just put a couple inches in the front, maybe 2 or 3. I read about these coil spring spacers, and found a good deal

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sps-1706

Although im wondering what kindof rabbit hole im going down. I need to know how this will affect my steering angle, if I need to redo my alignment, how hard would that be? I also need to know if i need to reshim the upper control arms affer this, and if i need upper ball jointspacers so i don't kill them, thanks. Here are some pics

You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I'm not convinced that an OEM shock absorber will accommodate more than 2 bonus inches.
That makes me wonder about the brake lines.
It's a Chevrolet...I say go for it and see what happens. If it breaks, fix it so it won't. :33:

I bet you can get away with two inches and the truck will never know the difference.:boti:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Alignment and shock travel would get affected. Steering will also get some some effect but should stay within reasonable range

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Alignment and shock travel would get affected. Steering will also get some some effect but should stay within reasonable range

If I go with one at the spring and 2 at the fender, should I have it aligned? Or just send it

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
If I go with one at the spring and 2 at the fender, should I have it aligned? Or just send it

What do you mean by the 2 at the fender?
A set of one ton springs would give you a lift on the front as well. But it will depend on existing alignment spec. The camber change will be a positive. The amount of change depends on the geometry. There will also be some toe change but very minimal due to a relatively long tie rod length. You can calculate the change by measuring existing suspension geometry.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I bought new shocks very recently and the part number was the same for a 2 inch lift , as it is for stock.

Just sayin.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I bought new shocks very recently and the part number was the same for a 2 inch lift , as it is for stock.

Just sayin.

Lol that's all I needed to hear. And I would go with new springs but the po put new springs in too, I see no reason to buy another new set when for 20 bucks I can do the same thing

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I used air Lift air bags on two of my C20 trucks to fit 33's with minor trimming. I then ran the air lines through the holes in the front plate. I only had to have it re-aligned. It gave me about 2" of lift. Summit has them for $88. They fit inside the springs.
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/81560/

You must be registered for see images

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I used air Lift air bags on two of my C20 trucks to fit 33's with minor trimming. I then ran the air lines through the holes in the front plate. I only had to have it re-aligned. It gave me about 2" of lift. Summit has them for $88. They fit inside the springs.
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/81560/

You must be registered for see images

I would but I'm going for cheap, plus if i do bags I'd put air on the truck too

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Shocks work better when in designed work range. The main thing that stands out possibly more is the camber change. But that is easy to check with a regular angle meter when on level surface

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Shocks work better when in designed work range. The main thing that stands out possibly more is the camber change. But that is easy to check with a regular angle meter when on level surface

What kindof angles should i be looking for?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
What kindof angles should i be looking for?
For a truck suspension probably pretty close to 0°. Maybe just a bit negative around -0.3°.
I do not know the rate of camber change on the c10 relative to height, but it is not uncommon to have a 1° change in camber with 2" height difference

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8