Spring Bushings Moving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
When I bought my truck a couple years ago the front spring bushings looked a little beat up/worn so I replaced them. They were a tight fit as expected. A couple of weeks later I noticed both front bushing have walked out to the left. I pounded them back in, couple weeks later same thing. Rear bushings have not moved. Truck is straight, no hits, no heavy off-roading. Drives straight down the highway, no tire wear or pull/drift.
Your thoughts?
Greg

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
When I bought my truck a couple years ago the front spring bushings looked a little beat up/worn so I replaced them. They were a tight fit as expected. A couple of weeks later I noticed both front bushing have walked out to the left. I pounded them back in, couple weeks later same thing. Rear bushings have not moved. Truck is straight, no hits, no heavy off-roading. Drives straight down the highway, no tire wear or pull/drift.
Your thoughts?
Greg

Are the springs OEM? Where did the bushings come from? How did you get the old ones out?

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
It has newer aftermarket springs. The orig. owner replaced them not long before I bought the truck. Pressed out the old bushings, pressed in the new ones. They were tight.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It has newer aftermarket springs. The orig. owner replaced them not long before I bought the truck. Pressed out the old bushings, pressed in the new ones. They were tight.
Almost seams like the spring eye has opened as if the heat treating process was substandard.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
I just don't know HK, bushings seem to be a pretty tight fit. Both sides on the front are doing the same thing but the rear bushings on the front springs are staying in place.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I just don't know HK, bushings seem to be a pretty tight fit. Both sides on the front are doing the same thing but the rear bushings on the front springs are staying in place.
The front eyes don't have the movement the rears eyes do and don't take as much force. If the front eyes weren't tempered properly they will be the first to open up because they take more of a pounding. I'm not a metallurgist and I don't play one on tv but the eyes would of had to open up if that bushing is sliding out.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
WOW, I've never seen that before...

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
The only way I see that the bushing could move out on its own is if there is now less friction between the bushing and spring than when it was originally installed. Perhaps the bushings you replaced were a touch undersized (talking mere thousandths) or like others have said, the spring eye has opened up enough to allow the movement as well.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
My stock bushing on a stock spring walked similar. Aftermarket poly bushings should have a shoulder on both sides. I had to pull spring back to install with a new set.
Edit: yours is a bit different, it moved on a metal sleeve part instead of rubber. The aftermarket springs are probably a bit off and might work with a poly bishings that have a shoulder

Last edited:

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Yev, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Same issue. Did you switch up to the poly bushings and did it solve the problem? If the poly bushings have a shoulder does that mean they have no steel sleeve?
Greg

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I had Tuff Country springs in my '79. I switched to ORD bushings as they were greaseable. They have the metal sleeve. I don't recall if the orginal Tuff Country's did, but I believe most poly bushings do.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdshackles.htm

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am using greasable offroad design poly bushings. There is a metal sleeve inside.

Yev, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Same issue. Did you switch up to the poly bushings and did it solve the problem? If the poly bushings have a shoulder does that mean they have no steel sleeve?
Greg

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My Energy Suspension ones have a sleeve too and I don't think there is room for any slide out movement.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
aftermarket springs have poly bushings with shoulders and a steel inner sleeve no outer sleeve. it appears you have installed factory bushings on aftermarket springs, not correct. highdesertranger

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
HDR, this is the same style bushing that was in the spring when I got the truck. I suppose they could have been tbe wrong bushings as well.
I will try to locate the shouldered poly bushings.
Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota