Spicer spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
This blowup is from the 1980's. Has the part number been superseded? It's worth asking.

They said it hasn't been made in years. I called some restoration companies I found on the web and they said they use newer replacement hubs.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I had a set of Spicers on mine when it had 1/2 ton axles. I'm not sure if I still have them in my junk or if I gave them to [MENTION]Swims[/MENTION] a couple years ago.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I had a set of Spicers on mine when it had 1/2 ton axles. I'm not sure if I still have them in my junk or if I gave them to [MENTION]Swims[/MENTION] a couple years ago.

the half ton would have the dana 44, not sure if the spring would be the same size or not.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
the half ton would have the dana 44, not sure if the spring would be the same size or not.

It was actually a Corporate 10 bolt. If the dimensions are the same it should work.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
It was actually a Corporate 10 bolt. If the dimensions are the same it should work.

I will have some time this weekend to check things out. I hope they work.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
The spring was too small but I was able twist spring to increase the diameter and it worked. The ring that holds outer cap is out of round so if doesn't look un lock. I can probably work on the ring a bit more. Next is a new rim and front tires.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So obviously that answers that question. The 1/2 ton Dana 44 / Corp 10 bolt Spicer hubs won't interchange or at least have smaller springs than the Dana 60 hubs right?

I'd still keep your feelers out on the correct spring, even if it came off a Dodge or Ford Dana 60. Never know, someone may have had 1 hub lock go bad and bought a new set of Warns or something else and all you need is 1 spring from their replaced Spicer hubs. Needle in a hay stack but it could happen.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
So obviously that answers that question. The 1/2 ton Dana 44 / Corp 10 bolt Spicer hubs won't interchange or at least have smaller springs than the Dana 60 hubs right?

I'd still keep your feelers out on the correct spring, even if it came off a Dodge or Ford Dana 60. Never know, someone may have had 1 hub lock go bad and bought a new set of Warns or something else and all you need is 1 spring from their replaced Spicer hubs. Needle in a hay stack but it could happen.

Definitely. One on the rings in the hub is out of round so I can't unlock the one side. If I can't get it right with replacement parts I'm will get new hubs. But for now 4 wheel drive works and can get around my proberty. I want to have the truck completely road worthy before my son is driving it on the road.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The good news is, if you do end up buying new hubs, knowing how hard it is to get separate parts, you now know you can probably sell the single parts on eBay and make a few bucks and help out another off-roader looking for the same spring whether it be Chevy, GMC, Dodge or Ford, cuz I'm fairly certain the springs are the same on all brands, but it was Ford that was more common to use the Spicer joints. Not sure what Dodge used.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
The good news is, if you do end up buying new hubs, knowing how hard it is to get separate parts, you now know you can probably sell the single parts on eBay and make a few bucks and help out another off-roader looking for the same spring whether it be Chevy, GMC, Dodge or Ford, cuz I'm fairly certain the springs are the same on all brands, but it was Ford that was more common to use the Spicer joints. Not sure what Dodge used.

I am hoping to stay with the Spicer. The Warn and Mile Marker hubs aren't supposed to be as strong. Yukon makes a good set up but it is more money and Dyna trac makes a kit including other parts that is supposed to be bullet proof but that cost even more.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I am hoping to stay with the Spicer. The Warn and Mile Marker hubs aren't supposed to be as strong. Yukon makes a good set up but it is more money and Dyna trac makes a kit including other parts that is supposed to be bullet proof but that cost even more.

I think the difference in strength only matters on a hardcore offroad truck. New hubs can work real nice for a long time on most any work truck.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I think mine has Mile Marker hubs and I've beat on them pretty good. The hardest hardcore offroad trucks don't run lock-outs anyway, they run slugs.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I think the difference in strength only matters on a hardcore offroad truck. New hubs can work real nice for a long time on most any work truck.
I can be carrying over 2 tons of fire wood and more than that in gravel or dirt over less then ideal conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito