Spicer spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I need a spring for my front lock out. I have a 1979 full ton. It is a Spicer lockout on a Dana 60. I have looked and I have had no luck.

I was hoping somebody here could help me out.

I believe this is a diagram of the Dana 44 but it is very similar to the Dana 60. The spring is #13 in the pic below.
You must be registered for see images attach

thanks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And you're 100% positive it's a Spicer hub? To the best of my knowledge, and yours could be too if it's a late enough 79, but it's my understanding 80 was the only year GM used Spicer lockouts for OEM front axles. Also IIRC, Ford used them much more often, so you might have better luck sourcing the spring by looking at some OEM Ford parts books and diagrams and such. Worth a look nonetheless.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That spring is pretty much in the front of all trucks with 4x4. Even my dana44 has it.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
My '76 K20 had Spicer hubs from the factory. The plastic center broke on one of mine and I ended up going with a set of Warn hubs.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd say that's certainly possible Lugnut. I maybe confusing with 80 only as with ALL 80's got the Spicer lockouts because ALL models got the NP205 transfer case. IIRC, in 76 anything with fixed hubs due to Full Time transfer case NP203 transfer case in the 1/2 and 3/4 tons with Automatic transmission, then the Manual trasmission models and 1 tons got the NP205 and likely had the lock out hubs. At any rate, I certainly won't disagree with you on that.

But, to the point, I'm guessing MOguy is just wanting the spring only to patch up his current OEM hubs and not have to completely replace them. The best advice I am able to suggest for you Ross, as said, look around for a DIY wrecking yard or someone who has some Spicer hub parts laying around, and be sure to check the Fords too. I don't know what the older Dodges used but I'd imagine what's more important to find a spring that will work for you is find a Spicer hub regardless of the year, make and model of the truck they come off of.

Hopefully someone with more experience working on 4x4s will chime in with some interchangeability knowledge.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
Wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers HotRod and sorry if i did. And you are probably right, mine is a "granny" 4-speed with a NP205 and a Dana 44.
I actually still have my Spicer hubs in hopes I will run across the plastic center handle (part 5 in the drawing) one day. I just liked the way they looked better. lol

I can't be 100% for sure, and it has been awhile but I am pretty sure the guts are the same for the the Spicer hubs on the fords.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
lockout hubs are the same for most vehicles as long as the splines are the same.

dana44 has 19 splines for example meaning and hubs that are for 19 splines and have the 6 bolt pattern will most likely work.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I am in a rural area and have checked for other parts. When I call various parts places/junk yards they say if they rarely get any larger older trucks in and many have where lost in the cash to clunkers program.

My best source for parts are farmers field but at this point these trucks are as valuable as gold and I cant find anybody who will give up anything.

It is the Spicer, I even know people who have had just axles or parts of axles sitting in their sheds for decades but they won't give them up.

My other option is to weld the gears together so it is locked in all the time. At this point the only thing the truck is used for is wood or rock mostly out of the woods. It is possible that it could see a 20 - 30 mile on road drive every year or so. At this point is would rarely need to go over about 50 mph and that would even be rare. HOWEVER I have a 14 year old that has an interest in it and I would like get it as road worthy as possible over the next year or so. The truck is also kind of growing on me. It is looking like either mile marker or warn hubs are the best solution. I was hoping for a less expensive solution.

It is a 79 dually with a working dump bed. It was a utility truck down in AZ. It has no rust (rare in my area) and mechanically in very good shape. I bough the truck for about $800 and I now into it for maybe about $1300.

Thanks for all the replies.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If yours is a one ton, the front axle won't be a d44. Most likely a d60. I'm not sure exactly what's different on the lock out mech, but I do know they're different.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
This is the K30 (Dana 60) manual Hub blowup from the axles and steering blowups in the service training group post.
The whole PDF -->73-83 Axles and steering Quick Req
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was able to google the part number and find somebody who sold the spring. 5 bucks for the spring and 10 bucks for shipping, allot cheaper than having to buy new hubs.

EDIT: I called them to check if available and they said it isn't available so my order will be canceled.

Last edited:

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
This blowup is from the 1980's. Has the part number been superseded? It's worth asking.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Found a spring. I am not sure if it is from the 44 or the 60. Depending on weather I should find out today or tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84