spare tire support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Will the parts in the drawing get me everything I need to mount a spare tire on my 82 C10? My truck has the two cross brace supports on the frame. Of course, I'll supply the nuts and bolts!

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Looks like with those parts it should be all that you need. I always kept a small bottle jack handy in case I ever needed to drop the spare. The weight of the tire/wheel and arm is a pita to get up underneath after swapping out the spare.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the response.

That reminds me that I need to put a bottle jack behind the seat! Also have to get a cheap spare tire for my extra 15x8 wheel. A 235/75x15 is the same height as my 255/70x15 tires. Man, even a cheap one costs $80 these days.:eek:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That looks like it to me. Of all the trucks I've had, only 1 had it and I saved it. Seems the hard part would be part #5, the rest of it you could almost make yourself. I've really considered installing mine, but I think I'd rather install a Blazer tank.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I don't have a spare...just Haggerty roadside assistance with free towing. Lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
On 36s if I have a blow out it's gonna get ugly real fast.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just remembered that a friend who I rarely see said his dad has a bunch of square bodies in a field. So I sent him a message asking him to check for the spare tire carrier parts. That would beat the heck out of spending $100 + shipping for new aftermarket parts.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I've found you can fit up to a 33x11.50 on a 10" wide wheel if you replace the original carriage bolt with a longer one.

That looks like it to me. Of all the trucks I've had, only 1 had it and I saved it. Seems the hard part would be part #5, the rest of it you could almost make yourself. I've really considered installing mine, but I think I'd rather install a Blazer tank.

With #5, you could easily tap a piece of thickwall tubing and just weld on a round for a lock and probably function just about the same.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Part 4 was bent on my truck and part 5 was missing, so I bought new ones from LMC.

#5 is just a metal clamshell with a threaded plastic insert inside and its supposed to screw onto the #4 bolt. It is designed so you can use a lug wrench handle (or short pipe) through the hole to turn the metal shell, so you need no tools to remove the spare tire. #5 outer shell is also shaped so that when turned with the tab in the right direction it will slip through the elongated hole in the horizontal bracket, so you don't have to remove it completely to get the spare off.

However, the new plastic insert threaded so tight on the new bolt that the outer shell started turning without moving the plastic insert. I finally took it off and just replaced it with a couple large washers and a standard nut. I keep a box end wrench of the right size in the glove compartment.

I also strongly recommend that you get a jack under the tire when you try to put it back up on the carrier. I've done it a couple of times and its really hard for one person to lift the tire, insert the bolt, and also get everything lined up at the same time so that the tire clears the exhaust and sits up against the brackets.

Bruce

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
I don't have a spare...just Haggerty roadside assistance with free towing. Lol
Me too on my hot rods. AAA on the rest. Now if I was going out in the woods I would also want to be prepared, but don't do that much anymore. sadly.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys. Don't remember the last time I had a flat, just a few slow leaks from nails. But a spare tire is like insurance -- you hope you don't have to use it!

We're thinking about getting AAA, so that might also be a solution.

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
After a few spare removals, I bolted down a boat seat pedestal in the back of the truck with a bolt and lock mechanism for the spare with a cover on the spare, lasted for years.
A couple years ago, I bought a corvette fiberglass spare tire carrier clam shell that gave me "ideas" (almost as good as some of HotRods ideas :boobs:), well, that clam shell is still sitting on the porch lol.

I still want a blazer tank, Ca smog rules doesn't like the idea :deal:, or most of my ideas anyway, just have to wait until I move...then make it really efficient.

AAA with 200 mile towing for the win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg