Spacing???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Gonna be a bit of a backstory so if you want to skip ahead to the last part the there's my question. Been a few but I finally scraped up the cash to get a simple rebuilt 700R4 trans. First time I've done anything this big but went ahead and dropped everything (drive shafts, transfer case and 700R4 trans). Went and got the rebuilt 2nd gen trans one with a new torque converter and warrenty. Everything seemed all good, installed everything, hooked up the linkage, yadda yadda ya. Jacked up the rear end as reckonmended and shift thru all the gears. Took it out and the road and imminently notice something wrong.

I was stuck in first... literally stuck. I pulled into a gravel clearing on the side of some railroad tracks to turn around and that's when I found out I had no reverse... At this point in time, I wasn't to happy. I no longer have a drivers side window btw- ask me why. Anyways, somebody stopped and helped me push my truck back onto the road and I made it home.

Round 2: Dropped everything again and later found out that the builder had grabbed a faulty pump. The pressure valve in the pump (idk why it's called) was jammed and had no snap ring. That solves that problem.

This is where it gets intrestig. The builder gave me a 2wd trans. He said it would work just fine, I even asked about the different length in output shafts and he said he changed it out. Got that and kept the torque converter because I didn't bring the trans back fried to a crips to the guy. Well round 2 went and I installed the trans. Then I installed the transfer case and the crossmember. This is where I went to bolt in the torque converter to the flywheel. Well this is where I'm at currently...

There is no gap between the torque converter and the flywheel. I cannot move it enough to even bolt it together. So here's my question--- Is there a difference in the shaft length up front or maybe the difference in tranny pumps? Or could it be that the torque converter was not put on all the way? I'm pretty sure that I did but maybe it slid off some? Idk. Im basically asking what's y'all input? I would a some pictures but don't really know how just yet. Thanks...

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. When you installed the torque converter did you feel or hear 2 "clunks"? That lets you know you have the converter locked on to the pump. If not, you'll have to slowly rotate the converter while pushing in. You'll definetley know when you have it engaged. Should have at least an eighth of an inch space. The front shaft is the same length in 2x4 and 4x4 tranny. That's what I'm running as that is what the PO had in my K10.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Isnt it 3 cluncks?
No, first one is when you put the converter in and it hits the gears, second one is when it goes all the way in and engages the tangs in the pump gear.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I do believe rule of thumb on convertersis no more then 3/16" and no less then an 1/8". Sounds like the cconverter isn't in all the way and if you cranked it down with the bell housing bolts you could have possibly damaged the pump.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I do believe rule of thumb on convertersis no more then 3/16" and no less then an 1/8". Sounds like the cconverter isn't in all the way and if you cranked it down with the bell housing bolts you could have possibly damaged the pump.
THAT is correct. :D

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. When you installed the torque converter did you feel or hear 2 "clunks"? That lets you know you have the converter locked on to the pump. If not, you'll have to slowly rotate the converter while pushing in. You'll definetley know when you have it engaged. Should have at least an eighth of an inch space. The front shaft is the same length in 2x4 and 4x4 tranny. That's what I'm running as that is what the PO had in my K10.
Thanks for letting me know about the shaft length. Pretty sure I did here the two and felt it but with my luck so far, who knows?

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Let's all take a moment of silence and pray that THIS DID NOT HAPPEN!!! When I drop the trans again, is there any way to check the pump without tearing the whole thing apart? Thanks...

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I hope you didn't. I did it this time last year. Expensive F-up.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
is there any way to check the pump without tearing the whole thing apart? Thanks...
Pump is first thing that comes off, no need for tear down just to check the pump.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Let's all take a moment of silence and pray that THIS DID NOT HAPPEN!!! When I drop the trans again, is there any way to check the pump without tearing the whole thing apart? Thanks...

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Alright... WTF??? Got the torque converter to fit, transfer case back in and rear drive shaft hooked up. Rear is jacked up again and wheels off the ground. Went to start it today and whadda ya know, nothing happened. My wheels aren't moving in any gear. I went and turned them by hand and after a while they spines on there own but I turned it off and let it sit over night. Now, there is no movement at all. My rear drive shaft is not turning.

Anybody have any idea what this is? I haven't driven anywhere yet so idk what could have really went wrong...

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No, first one is when you put the converter in and it hits the gears, second one is when it goes all the way in and engages the tangs in the pump gear.
I called up my builder and he said it was three clicks. 1 for the small gears, 2 for the big gears and 3 for the torque converter to engage the tangs in the pump. I think it's more so of how you first get it on there depending on if your able to get it on the small and big gear on that first initial push.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I called up my builder and he said it was three clicks. 1 for the small gears, 2 for the big gears and 3 for the torque converter to engage the tangs in the pump. I think it's more so of how you first get it on there depending on if your able to get it on the small and big gear on that first initial push.
Have you ever looked at the inside of a pump???, the outer gear is way bigger around than the center one and the hub goes inside the center gear, no way can it hit the outer gear, and even it it could the two gears are not stepped the small gear turns the outer gear, the hub comes up against the center gear, you rotate the converter until hub notches line up with the tangs then it goes all the way in and that's it.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I hope you didn't. I did it this time last year. Expensive F-up.
Update- The pump broke. When the trans was pulled in with the bolts, it pushed the torque converter against the pump and broke it... Or well that's what I'm assuming. I hooked up a pressure gauge to the 3/8 pressure port on the trans and started it up. No change in pressure what so ever. I even took it off while and ran it and no fluid came squirting out so that to me is a dead give away. With all the problems I've had, my builder said that he would replace it for free so it looks like I will be dropping everything once again. Literally this WILL be the last time. Well, I hope so.

Y'all think it's the pump or could it be something else? Wish me luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg